Maltodextrin after bottle conditioning?

Continuing the discussion from Lack of mouthfeel on my Brunch Stout:

I mentioned before that two Dry Irish Stouts finished at 1.006 in the bottle. Probably a problem with wild yeast. One had stabilized at 1.009, the other at 1.011 in the primaries. Both of these lack the mouth feel when it was typical for these brews to finish at 1.011 to 1.012.

Would it be possible to add Maltodextrin to each pour to make some improvement? Right now they are tgo much like Guinness with a hint of sour.

You could try adding it to the glass before you drink it if you want to give it a shot. Never tried it and not sure how well it would dissolve in a cold beer, though. If you’re talking about adding to the bottle and recapping, I wouldn’t if you think they’re infected. Normal sacc yeast can’t eat maltodextrin, but brett/lacto can and could cause you issues. If it were me, I’d just blend them in the glass with a fuller bodied beer, make some black and tans.

If you add beer to a glass with any granulated product (sugar, milk sugar, etc) the granules will become nucleation sites for CO2. The bubbles will cause the glass to foam dramatically. It will over-flow.

As an example - not hypothetical - if you dump 1/4 pound of milk sugar into a five-gallon keg containing four gallons of beer, it will foam immediately, overflow the keg and create several inches of foam in the bottom of your keezer. You will then two hours and forty-seven minutes pulling your kegs out of the keezer, rinsing the bottoms of the kegs, mopping out the bottom of the keezer, rinsing the keezer, and mopping out the residue. Other than that, it’s a great idea.

Dan

Geez this sounds like you might know from experience! :wink:

Me? I’d never try such a thing! I know better!

It happened to a … friend while I was visiting.

And I warned him! But, would he listen? NO! I just dumped - I mean, HE just dumped the lactose in there and was surprised when it foamed all over the place. Geez, what a dope!

2 Likes

I was thinking the maltodextrin would be in solution. Easier to measure also.

I believe you old dawn! :wink:Sneezles61

Damn auto correct!! Dawg! sneezles61

That should alleviate the foaming potential. At least it works with table sugar. I’ve reprimed bottles with dissolved sugar and had no problems whatsoever.

Ron

:scream:

Doooh!