Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com

Liquid yeast viability without starter

I just tried liquid yeast in one of my 5 gallon extract batches. This is the first time that I have ever used liquid instead of dry. I went back and forth on making a yeast starter, and I settled on just pitching the yeast directly into the wort without a starter. After about 12 hours I noticed pretty active bubbling in my airlock. Now, it’s been 48 hours and it is still bubbling away. Is this confirmation that my yeast is “active?” Or, should I still be concerned about not using a starter?

Any input is appreciated!

Sure seems likes its doing what yeast are suppose to do…
Sneezles61

I agree. Completely normal.

Starter are typically used when making big beers with high original gravities or when the yeast is old and/or unreliable. Sometimes I make starters with some yeast just to harvest the fresh yeast before pitching.

TL/DR: it looks like you’re good.

Online you can find calculators to determine how much yeast you need for a given OG & recipe size, as well as how much yeast remains active in a pack based on its starting cell count and age. The result tells whether you need a starter and if so, how big.

That said, I generally use the unscientific “I don’t feel like/didn’t plan ahead” method for liquid yeast starters, and I’ve gotten good beer every time. Maybe some of them could have been great beers, but I’ve gotten no complaints.

Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com