Let's talk about hops

I trust you found the “appropriate” time then? :grin:
Sneezles61

Interesting. I never new this about cascade which I always think of as piney.

I think it’s piney as well

Just looked at its stats… 1.020 now… Freez-mentor sez 62*F… Tilt sez 67…
Sneezles61

1 Like

I started an all Cascade the same day you did but using Abby Ale yeast.

2 Likes

That’ll be a interesting combo…
I did a Belgium IPA a few years ago… Actually was pretty good deviation from the standard style…
Sneezles61

1 Like

Keep us posted gentlemen!

In the AM I go see how the brew is doing via tilt… Arrived at 1.012… Unplugged the freez-mentor… Now a couple days later, down to 1.006… This has been quite standard when I brew lighter colored brews and use a stepped mash…
If the food doesn’t overwhelm me today… I can keg…then in the next couple days I’ll brew this ones alternative batch…
Sneezles61

the next couple days I’ll brew this ones alternative batch…
[/quote]
Liar… But its in progress now…
Sneezles61

I generally do at least three and often four hop additions during the process. One at the 60 minute time, one at 45 minutes, one at 30 minutes, one at 15 minutes, and one at 2 minutes as well. I don’t always do all of them but at least three and possibly four. Depends on the hops I have on hand really…

I have this next one in the fermenter… Im doing flame out and DH’ing… The previous one was all pre-flame out…
Of course the “to the boil” didn’t change…
Sneezles61

1 Like

Just did a whack at a Mosaic Promise imposter. All Mosaic hops at 60, 50, 30, 20, 10, FO, and a WP. I also plan to DH it with a half ounce.

2 Likes

Is that the Founders brew?
Sneezles61

Yes. No idea how close I’ll get. Mine is a Golden Promise/Mosaic smash. Kind of my stake in the sand.

2 Likes

First time I had that, it was very good… So I bought some Mosaic hops… soon found out its signature aroma/flavor and then I drifted away from that hop… Ive not even tried golden promise yet… I’m a loser, eh? :blush:
Sneezles61

:innocent: Nah, this is my first time using it. I bought it especially for this brew. I have 2 row and Maris Otter on hand as my base malts.

1 Like

I waffle betwixt 2 row and pils, but there is always MO in the mix… I should try leaving the MO out some time… Oh I will… with a Vienna try very soon…
sneezles61

I was on a Golden Promise kick for a while. Mostly used it for english bitters, pale ales, irish ales. Very similar to MO, full bodied and heavy malt flavor. GP is the grain most of the best single malt scotch distillers use I believe.

So I should grab enough to sample then… Got an idea for an order from our host…
Sneezles61

For long time. I did a 30 min hop addition. But the last. 8 brews. Went to different. Hop schedule. 60. 10. 5 and. Flame out. Seems. Have more hop flav. That way

2 Likes