Lager season 2016

Have you ever grown pumpkin? They grow faster than you can eat them. Just like corn you use what you have to ferment. Maximilian and his hauty toauty friends could get their hands on barley but the rest of the gang was fermenting whatever they could get their hands on. It ain’t rocket science

2 Likes

I wonder how much Max and his band of Sax got… Perhaps after quite a few years he develop a supply stream to Mexico from Austria…
Doesn’t that open the door right there… He was from Austria… NOT Germany… rhinehautsbegot(?) didn’t mean jack to Max! Sneezles61

1 Like

I was and am still fascinated by the story of how Vienna Lager died out in Austria but lives on in Mexico.

2 Likes

I thought the Germans mixed there Munchic with the Vienna and took control of the design… Marzen… “You wimpy Austrians go home”! :grin: Sneezles61

I never really cared about the Vienna lager until I realized it’s basically a way to drink Octoberfest year round

2 Likes

I think it can be good, if its brewed good! There were some offerings this past season that were, well, just plain crappy… Uneventful…
Hey, Knock Knock! Sneezles61

Who’s there?

Trick or drink!!! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
Yes I’m dressed up like a pirate… And don’t ask me wheres my buccaneers… Because they’re on me buckin" head!!! :joy::grin: Sneezles61

Sounds like you’ve been hitting the grog

2 Likes

BIPA… weighs in at 9.8%… No trick or treaters showed up yet… Apparently, when we have decent weather, we just don’t go outside… Sneezles61

1 Like

Their parents warned them about your place I guess

Don’t grab me chest and keep yer mitts off me booty!

I was stumbling… honestly! A few showed up… I was being stingy… trying to leave some for me lunch pail! Sneezles61

This why I commented and opened this whole can of worms. I lived in Vienna for a year and each district had their own little brewery. They all had what they called a Vienna Lager. Since it was delicious I naturally sought it out when I came back to the states. It is true that Modelo Negra, although I think it was called something different, was the closest I could find in the 90s. I’m also not sure the Viennese would agree that it has died out there as they are very big on keeping things around that reminded them of their old Habsburg strength. But I haven’t been there in a long time.

1 Like

They call it a dunkel and it has 2row not Vienna also black malt and Chrystal so I guess we’re all wrong. Anyway it’s not German. It’s a Mexican lager so no reinhietsgebot . They only started brewing it in 1925 so Max was probably drinking something else altogether

Hope Maximillian got to enjoy some of his Brewers product, he was executed in 1867 :grimacing:
Two articles referencing the shift to Pilsener in Deutschland and Hapsburg Austria, and the European roots of (some)Mexican lagers:

2nd link see below

Hope Maximillian got to enjoy some of his Brewers product, he was executed in 1867 :grimacing:
Two articles referencing the shift to Pilsener in Deutschland and Hapsburg Austria, and the European roots of (some)Mexican lagers:

1 Like

Most of the “craft” vienna lagers that I’ve had in the last couple of years have been sweeter than I like and honestly more like dunkels. Negra Modelo seems too light to classified as a dunkel to me. By light I mean less body, less maltiness. I guess they can call it whatever they want though.