Lager season 2016

I made a Mexican Lager using WLP940 and loved it. Great yeast! I pulled 5gal and aged it on toasted coconut. It was delicious!

So what do you all put in your Mexican lager. I use al ot of Vienna malt and flaked maize.

Base malt, dark Munich, corn, chocolate wheat. Sneezles61

What type of corn do you use? Iā€™ll use Vienna, Munich, some white wheat, chocolate malt and flaked maize.

Like you when I think about Mexican lager I think about the darker stuff like Modelo dark or the dark dos XX.

1 Like

yes, Modelo negraā€¦ I enjoy that oneā€¦ Dosequiā€™s dark doesnt quite have the flavor Modelo hasā€¦ Just me?
Flaked maize (corn)ā€¦ Iā€™ll have to look back in my notesā€¦ 15% of my grist? Sneezles61

I donā€™t think there is flaked corn in Modelo Negraā€¦ Maybe but ā€¦
ā€œFirst brewed in Tacuba, Mexico in 1925, Modelo Negra, formerly Negra Modelo, is a medium-bodied lager with slow-roasted caramel malts brewed for a rich, smooth taste. Brewed longer to enhance its flavors, Modelo Negra redefines ā€œDark Beerā€ because it is exceptionally drinkable and remarkably smooth. This Munich Dunkel-style Lager is brewed with galena and super galena hops as well as caramel malt, black malt and two and six row malt barley. These ingredients are meticulously brewed together to give Modelo Negra that bright, rich, amber hue and that iconic, medium-bodied flavor.ā€

Never intended to make it a Modelo clone just an inspiration. Mines better, maybe they should use some flaked maize. I just feel a Mexican beer should have maize.

1 Like

Iā€™ve read some stuff that sez there is corn in itā€¦ Either way, its a good drinkerā€¦ True to a real recipeā€¦ naw, just getting closeā€¦ Its just like musicā€¦ learn someone elseā€™s chopsā€¦ but donā€™t try to be just like themā€¦ Make it your own. I like that inspiration! Sneezles61

Yes, i agree, make it upā€¦ Iā€™m not a fan of flaked cornā€¦ or corn in general in my beerā€¦ sweet corn picked that morning is another matterā€¦ yum

Remember most of the breweries in mexico that you know by name were founded by germans who followed reinheintsgebot so corn would def not be in them. However, TesgĆ¼ino would be inspired and Iā€™d like to try some Pozol

" Maximilian I of Mexico of the House of Habsburg, an Austro-Germanic ruling family. The emperor had his own brewer, who produced Vienna-style dark beers. This influence can be seen in two popular brands of Negra Modelo and Dos Equis Ambar."

Well Max probably didnā€™t eat tortillas either. But I like nachos with my beer so itā€™s getting corn. And Iā€™ll bet the Aztecs used corn and their beer

2 Likes

Not to intervene but please understand that Anheuser-Busch was started by German immigrants. They too didnā€™t follow the reinheitsgebot as they put rice in their beer. The reasonā€¦ North America only had six row and the rice cut the protein levels. Flaked maize does the same thing. These immigrants to Mexico suffered the realization. How to make a beer that wasnā€™t turbid? Cut it with maize.

So is it possible that there is flaked maize in Modela Negra? Absolutely and I would be willing to put money on it that there is. Not to mention flaked maize is cheaper than malt so it would also be a cost saving effort.

5 Likes

Loopie, what I read was that barley wasnā€™t as available, but corn was plentifulā€¦ Sneezles61

1 Like

Thanks @loopie_beer for diffusing this before it got to the level of a d-rest type argument

1 Like

I still think corn is gross :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
and @loopie_beer Mr. Anheuser was foremost a soap manufacturer which explains all that :grimacing:

Now your insulting the founding fathers of American beer.

1 Like

ā€œI for one, will not sit here and have you bad mouth Americaā€ā€¦

Right. America was built on light lager. Love them or hate them itā€™s our heritage. The mega companies that have come to own them not so much love

1 Like

Well, lets throw another wrench into the mixā€¦ Pumpkin beerā€¦ There all kinds of ā€œideasā€ out thereā€¦ I wonā€™t pull a quote from some e-news telling me about thisā€¦ BUTā€¦ from my simple way of looking at it through my beer glass, heres my thinninā€™ā€¦
They needed the guts of the pumpkin to eatā€¦ nourishmentā€¦ But the pumpkin, well, Iā€™d bet became a fermenterā€¦ They really couldnā€™t take much in the way of buckets and the such with them when they crossed the ocean ā€¦ Thats my take on how pumpkin brews becameā€¦ Any others? ā€¦ No corn involved too I hope? :smirk: Sneezles61