Kveik update

did brew last saturday a imperial blond ale did use the kveik yeast again still amazed how quick fermenting starts . its now four days after brewing day . actually the fermenting does slow down gonna check friday and transfer to second . a update on the first brew i did with the kveik yeast as a test. just took a sample and the abv does stay about 1.007 now me curius on how it will taste once dryhop are done and carbonation

Thanks for the update. One thought I had with higher fermentation temperatures is that bacteria also like it warmer. When growing bacteria in a lab, most incubators are set to human body temperature (upper 90’s). Bacteria can multiply a lot faster than yeast. So we’re going to have to take cleaning and sanitation of our equipment very seriously as we get closer to those 90 degree plus temperatures. I’m not saying we don’t do a good enough job now, but I’d definitely wouldn’t be cutting corners at these fermentation temperatures.

1 Like

Warmer temps and bacteria makes sense. I have to laugh about how we so concerned with sanitation and how Norwegian farmhouse ale is brewed, where Kveik yeast came from. Take a look at the photos here Brewing a Norwegian farmhouse ale | Larsblog Looks like a less than sterile environment. I bet the beer is good though. If I tried brewing like that it would turn out to be a batch of drain cleaner :grin:

haha yes did some research a reading about the yeaststrain did see pictures they way the do brew beer overthere and than we are anal about keeping everything clean. yes for not the cleaning or sanatising or beer brewing thats the easy part. but me more busy with temp control

Keep in mind too, although say we’re “keeping them happy,” when we keep our yeast strains in the 60’s, we’re not; we’re keeping them under control, so they don’t go too crazy, and start producing nasty-tasting fusols. Like the bacteria, Yeast is also “happiest” at body temperature; just ask the ladies. (Well, maybe you shouldn’t…) This strain is so interesting, because it stays clean at the higher, happier temps.

Since you’re deliberately innoculating your wort with billions of yeast cells, you’re stacking the deck in the yeast’s favor. The yeast will also be more aggressive at these temps. I wouldn’t let your gaurd down; be wary of the usual suspects, lacto, pedo, etc. But with population ratios of millions or billions to one; yeast will easily out compete in the short term. The worry is still for the fungal/bacteria strains that can hang on while the yeast party, then take over once the yeast get the floc out of town.

1 Like

Oh JMCK That there is good paradigm! Sneezles61

been watching it like a hawk

Considering that one of the ways this yeast was traditionally stored by brushing it on paper and drying it in the oven, I think there’s a pretty small risk. It’s supposed to be able to maintain a fairly pure culture by out-competing everything else. Of course, pedio can certainly hang around and drop those last few gravity points…