Kettle souring

Im planning my next already. Going to spend the winter trying to perfect my souring technique doing small batches and developing recipes

2 Likes

@brew_cat same here. Just pitched my good belly. Temp was a little warm, 103° but that should still be good, according to sources online.

It’ll be fine. Anything under 120°F is fine, but plantarum works best under 90°F.

Just got done boiling it. It wSnt overly sour today so I let it ride. The fragrance of the boil was “interesting.”

I found mine at 3.6 tart but hard to tell since it still had some sweetness pre fermentation.

I know. AFTER letting it ride for about 18 hours I thought about that. Now I realize it was probably much more sour than I thought. C’est la vie.

Did you get a pH?

No. I gave up the pH meter long ago when it would always read +/- .01 of what Bru’n Water said.

1 Like

Yea , I haven’t used mine in awhile either. But I got it out for this since I believe it we would be the only way to repeat the process. I don’t think I would trust my taste buds

2 Likes

I just bought a bottle oude kriek, $10.00 fer a pint… I even saw some for $20.00 for a bomber! I will try some again… Maybe… Sneezles61

I like Odell’s blackberry gose…but not much else :grinning:

I just transfered my sour saison onto the cherries. Took a taste not to sour but still to early to tell . I’m hoping the cherries give it a little more tartness. Won’t be a Kriek but hope it’s good. Didn’t put the oak in yet I’ll wait a week of do and ate a taste

1 Like

Got up early this morning and was pleased to see a nice rocky krausen on the beer. I was relieved to see I pitched enough healthy yeast to overcome the lower pH.

Am off the entire week after Christmas. Planning on getting two 10gal batches in and one 5gal batch. Thinking Munich Dunkel, Lager using Pilsner malt and honey, and a session IPA.

2 Likes

Mine is happily fermenting the cherries. For my next addition I was going to add some etoh soaked oak but now I’m thinking of blending in some oak aged red wine instead. Any suggestions? These guys are in my town and my inspiration http://wp.oecbrewing.com/2016/08/30/artista-zynergia/

Drinking it now while watching the game. It’s good for a first shot. I may go a little more sour but maybe not. I’ll wait for it to mature a bit before I decide on changes.

Feel the darkness flow through you…

Haha! Don’t have the fridge space now to carb but I kegged mine. VERY sour. Not bad but haven tasted the carbed product, so not judging.

The carbonating seemed to accentuate the tartness I think.

Finally got around to mixing the lagunitas pale ale and my gose. Mixed them half and half and the taste is amazing! Really a lot like Aunt Sally. I really think you could mix this sour with almost any hoppy beer and it would be good. I can’t wait to make one that I actually dry hop and don’t have to mix.

Cheers,

Ron

2 Likes

Bottling th sour cherry saison tonight, everyone seems to like it. I think I’ll get another going. I’m thinking a sour porter because I have a sack of Marris otter. Anyone do this? Is it a good style to kettle sour @porkchop