Kettle souring

Yes thanks PC

Now, see what you started Pork Chop? An allegiance of sour heads! :relaxed: Sneezles61

You will be assimilated…

1 Like

@porkchop is there a way to halt souring. Pitched the GB at 10am pH was 4.2 eight pm it’s 3.9. hope it’s not to low in the am certainly not going to boil till tomorrow

Toss in some hops, it’ll slow the lacto. Can’t tell you how much, its just an idea. Dry hopping will stop lacto. You were doing some bittering hops, right?

You could chill it, too. Maybe put it outside or somewhere cold, and that should slow it way down.

I just want it to slow down till the morning. I’ll get up early and boil it. It’s 3.8 now so I uncovered it and set it on the floor which is 62 deg. Keeping my fingers crossed.

If it ends up too sour, then you can always blend it with some regular wort to tone down the sourness.

Edit - or better yet, serve it on tap next to a fairly low ibu saison or pale ale and blend it in the glass! Whether you do it in the keg or in the glass, blending is a great way to really dial in a sour beer, especially one that goes too sour on you.

1 Like

Looks good this am sitting at 3.6 at 6m I’ll start my boil in an hour or so. Smells good like fresh yogurt

Come on @sneezles61 give it a go. I’ve had some nasty sours but I had a few good ones so I’m going to try to design one to my liking. There is a saying I repeat when someone says they don’t like beer or this style or that. You just haven’t found the one you like. Maybe I won’t be able to make one I like but it’s kind of fun process.

1 Like

I brewed a pork chop inspired gose earlier this year that is very good. Used the goodbelly. Didn’t kill the lacto and is keeps getting more tart, so I bought some lagunitas pale ale the other day and I’m going to give mixing the two a try. I think it could be good. Kinda hoping for something in the neighborhood of aunt sally-tried one for the first time the other day and was blown away-thought it was one of the most enjoyable beers I’ve ever had.

Cheers to sours,
Ron

Oh dear, well, I’ll put that one on the to do list… Better to do in cold weather or warm? Sneezles61

I did a small batch mostly inside. Kind of a good inside project . My sourin wort held the temp between 120 and 90 for 24hrs sitting on my boiler wrapped in a blanket

Now THAT’S the one legitimate use of kettle souring in my book. Delicious style of beer - just sour the wort like you did before, and after pasteurizing toss in a large flameout or whirlpool addition of hops. Keep the ibu under 15, lots of fruity hops. For fun add some fruit purée. Take over the world. :beer:

2 Likes

^^^^^:neutral_face: Sneezles61

Just started the burner for my sour. Luckily it’s on 2.5gal batch so I’m able to do it on the stove in this nice 5° weather.

I did a small batch inside also. Helps if it has to be dumped. We can always blame @porkchop . I actually just went to a brewery and had their kettle soured amber rye. I enjoyed it, lightly sour

Yeah I too will blame @porkchop and send him a bill for the lost product!

I too am shooting for a lightly soured beer. Using GoodBelly mango for approx 12 hours. Then I’ll boil it for another 55 mins (boiled 5 today), chill to 170°, whirlpool both Citra and Galaxy for 10 mins.

Hopefully this will turn out good. I’ll be the only one drinking it so if it turns out real well I’ll be spoiled (no pun intended).

Go ahead and blame me, won’t bother me! :laughing:

Your future selves will be huddling over dozens of carboys of mixed fermentation sours, wondering how to make them MOAR SOUR! It’s a slippery slope.

Even if that doesn’t come to pass, I hope this works out for you! But the best time for these beers is summertime. Nothing like a fresh gose on a hot summer day.

That’s why I’m gonna mix a few of mine now. They will still be great in our 95+ summers here in Tennessee, but for winter the tart just needs to be curbed a bit!

Cheers,

Ron