I'm not sure what method I am using

I have been reading about no sparge brewing and what I am doing is not really in line with the description of that method. Here is what I understand. I think in no sparge, you mash as normal, then at the end of the mash you add the rest of the water and then drain. What I have been doing is starting out with the full volume of water in the cooler. I mash in the full volume of water for 60 minutes and then drain and boil. Is there anything wrong with doing this? Am I causing any problems by doing this? My beer seems to be coming out good. Is there a reason I should not do it this way?

There’s no reason why you shouldn’t do this, especially if it works for you. You will get better efficiency if you reserve some of your water and do a quick sparge simply by pouring it over your grains.

2 Likes

I agree with @loopie_beer a sparge will increase your efficiency. A double sparge even more. I like to get as much out of my grain as possible.

Well if it works stay with the idea

I use the full amount in my BIAB method, and rinsing with a pump over the grains. I guess you could hand latter too. My efficiency is either side 80. Sneezles61

I’ve tried a bunch of different ways and have gotten anywhere from 65% doing full volume to 90% doing BIAB half volume and dunk sparge the other half. You can make the same beer you just have to compensate. Doesn’t really matter how you do it as long as you know your system. I’m doing 10 gallon biab so I try to get the most out of my grains so I don’t need to pull as much. For my tun it’s not big enough to do more than 20#. I figure at 90% I’m saving enough grain that every third batch is free. So do what works best for you.

1 Like

OK, so I am glad to hear that nobody said “Are you crazy! You will never make good beer like that!”. So I will just keep with my method. I like it.

1 Like

I think I’ve heard that called the “inthebasementnosparge method”. Whatever works for ya!

1 Like

I feel quite honored!