I'll call it Apple Joose

Just some more pictures of Apple Joose…
Sneezles61

2 Likes

This year i did an apfelwien.

1 Like

How much difference from a still cider to a wine?
Sneezles61

name only i believe. It is served in a bembel. sometimes sparkling water is added to the glass. im going to make mine sparkling

I… and many others, enjoy the Joose sparkling… I enjoy what the CO2 acidic side does to it… Keg kicked last night…
I did get some cider yeast… never tried that before…Time to get some going…
Sneezles61

im using the moncharet wine yeast for the first time as traditional for apelfwein. also corn sugar. supposed to use a certain type of apple. i did add alot of wild apples to bump the tannic

1 Like

I’ve used white wine yeast… 1116(?)… Say-Son yeast… 05 dry yeast…
I’ve kegged when gravity reaches 1.001… it makes for a medium drink… Wife likes that… I prefer mine to go under 1.000… Dry… I’ve also gone to total juice from the super market…
Sneezles61

the moncharet yeast is a medium attenuating yeast shouldnt be as dry. the samples seam good. need to bottle it. im going to bottle some still and try it with the sparkling water spritzer as well

1 Like

Well, the chipmunks are spinning the wheel in my head… I’ll get a couple quarts or more, of maple syrup from the sugar shack and mix into a solution for 5 gallons of water and syrup to reach a SG of 1.055+/-…
Since I’ll rack my apple joose later this week, there will be a yeast cake to tinker with… Yeast nutrient will be used…
Sneezles61

Well depending on the OG of the sap you can boil off some water to get the OG to where you want it. I used the boil off calculator on brewers friend for my syrup and it was very accurate. I guess you could add dextrose but if you’re trying to get some maple flavor id go with the boil off method.

He and I talked about that… He claims alot of the flavor is from the boiling (malliard reaction)… hence the idea of taking processed sap, syrup, and mix with water to a certain gravity… Theres where the unknown comes in… How much will it take to leave some flavor… but it shouldn’t over power yer tongue…
Whoa, take on quart, mix enough water to get to a gravity of 1.060… and do another to get to 1.050… Comparison’s?
Sneezles61
EDIT: and I’ll call it… maple joose? :joy:

1 Like

Thats all true. The flavor and color can be contoled a bit by the intensity of the boiling and also by boiling over wood or gas. I agree the most bang for your buck is the syrup route also the most expensive. If i was using the syrup I would add it to the juice and then back dilute it with water. You will need to do some calculations to get your desired volume. Again brewers friend has the calculator

He has a wood fired boiler…
There is also what he’s calls “bud syrup”… When the buds start to open, the syrup changes, which also signals, collecting is over… There are peeps that use this maple syrup for baking… It’s not as sweet tasting, but yields the same gravity as regular syrup…
Sneezles61

I don’t collect at bud break. I dont filter but package in Mason jars and let it settle then decant into syrup bottles. We use the stuff left after decanting for baking. The first thing we do with the syrup is pour it over vanilla ice cream

2 Likes

Started more cider… back to wine yeast. See how my newly remodeled beer serving vessel will work, soon!
Sneezles61
EDIT: the new brew serving vessel works… the wine yeast… white 1113 (?) throws a bit too much nose that’s not desired…

Picked apples today… there wasn’t any banged up apples from bugs… go figure… one of the Haralson’s was a pound!! They went through 5 below freezing days… they are very good just fresh eating…
The birds did designate a few for them… yet, with a wheel barrow full, it’ll be fine… and the bruised ones do get funky very quick, perhaps the girls(deer) will get their share too! Anyone else have apples they’ve picked?
Sneezles61

3 Likes

Bad season here even the local orchards ive been visiting were hit hard early with frost. I didn’t get enough to crush this year.

1 Like

Hoping you have fresh eating apples…
Sneezles61

The latest Joose… quite tasty…
Sneezles61
Edit: it’s just the TV tray that’s not level. (:
Sneezles61

4 Likes

I suppose you don’t wanna see this kinda stuff…
Sneezles61

5 Likes