I'll call it Apple Joose

I’ve had 5 gallons sitting in the fridge for a few days… Today it went into the keg, forced carb…

This is my gizmo to push it into a purged keg…
Sneezles61

4 Likes

So I racked some beer out of a fermenter yesterday… Had apple juice… So I just dumped it on the yeast cake… The OG was 1.046… Not quite 24 hours later its down to 1.032…
I have been using K-1116, but this one is 05… The last time I used 05 my gravity ended just below 1.000… I like it dry like that… seems to go well with alot of CO2… “champagne style”…
I am trying to find out what the difference is betwixt apple cider or juice from our grocery stores…
Sneezles61

The juice from the store is usually made from concentrate. It’s generally filtered of all the good stuff. I’d mash up some apples and toss them in. I’ve made cider from plain juice kind of thin taste wise

I did juice up a few wheel barrows loads… I do not think I can tell the difference… I do serve mine cold and very much like champagne… That could be the tell tale…
Sneezles61

The apple juice I buy is called Indian summer… Its from over by Mr. Noobs area… They offer either cider or juice… The yeast is very busy… 1.013 this AM… Ill be curious if it stays so aggressive to the end… Usually, it creeps down after it reaches under .010…
sneezles61

Well, you mention something and it does the opposite… Check and gravity at .999 this AM… Go figure…
Sneezles61

FG was .996… Oh its dry… I can’t wait until its fully carbed… Apple Champagne!!
Sneezles61

Its very crisp on the tongue… Doesn’t seem to want to clear… Regardless, Its a great beverage!
Sneezles61

So I kegged Red Ale yesterday… I had 3 gallons of apple juice… I dumped on top of the yeast cake… About 10 AM…1.045 SG… 24 hours later .998!! So when I pull it out of the fermenter… the yeast will be done with too…
Sneezles61

I ended my lager series for brews… I put 5 gallons apple…juice/must on the Lager yeast cake… Freez-mentor set at 55*F… Its bubbling very nice now… slow but steady… This is the first time I’m fermenting apple joose cold…
Sneezles61

I once tried making a cider with lager yeast. It fermented pretty dry which sounds like what your going for. I prefer to use and English ale yeast because it quits sooner and doesn’t finish to clean.

I did do a couple with Lager at room temp… They were just too "soft’… Since I don’t write down stuff for the Joose, I remember they were done just above 1.000…
Lets see how a cold Lager yeast does then… Sneezles61

I wonder, gravity at 1.010 still burping every 5 seconds… I did raise the temp in the freez-mentor to 60*F… We know that much volume will take quite some time to adjust…
Do you think it’ll stall if I unplug it, open the lid and let it come to room temp?
Sneezles61

No it won’t. Do you want it to stall?

I’ll leave it on its course then… I figured it’d be fine since most the sugars are consumed…
Sneezles61
EDIT: 58*F… 1.002… its getting very close!! And still burping, albeit slow.

I kegged it yesterday… I’ll let it carb, slowly…
Sneezles61

I don’t know… a mouse-y smell… tastes fine… Perhaps Lager type yeast isn’t the choice?
Once I run through my next brews series… I’ll try that yeast…
Sneezles61

Apple Joose, brat dawg dunking in horse radish kinda thing right there! Just fantastic!! Recognize that table too?
Sneezles61

2 Likes

Racked a Say-Son off into a keg… poured 5 gallons of apple juice onto the yeast yesterday… OG 1.048…
This am gravity at 1.017… Thats fast! As monitored by my Tilt…
Sneezles61

Kegged Apple Joose today… FG .996…
OK… its lager season now…
Sneezles61

1 Like