How much beer do you drink?

I know this might be a rather personal question for some people but just curious. Ever since I started brewing I’ve been drinking more (shocking I know). Having tasty beer in my fridge reduces my will :slight_smile: I usually have just one a day sometimes two but i certainly drink way more than I used to before I started brewing which would be like grab a 6 on the weekend, drink 3 on a Saturday night and 3 on Sunday afternoon.

Just curious if homebrewing has changed any of your consumption habits.

1 Like

Most days I’ll have a couple of beers when I get home from work. I tend to brew in the 4-5% ABV range so I still have my wits about me after a couple. Sometimes I’ll start a third but rarely finish it.

when i was only homebrewing I drank at least 1 beer a night. I was also in school at that time. Now that I brew for work, I drink far less. Now I’ll occasionally have a beer during the week, but typically drink more on the weekends, maybe a couple/few a night, friday and saturday depending on what I’m doing.

I drink 1-3 pints 3-4 days a week. Usually none on the weekends and never any beer prior to 7pm.

For me it varies. I certainly don’t consume nearly as much beer as I used to, despite the fact that I’m brewing more often these days. That contradiction is primarily because in addition to the standard bitter and other ‘session’ type beers, I like to make sure that I always have some well aged specialty beers in the cellar–especially Strong Old Burton Ale, IPA, my annual Xmas Ale, and old school (robust) Porter.

Anyway…on average, over the course of 7 days, I probably drink well less than 64 ounces total. And when I decide to have one of the strong beers which I so enjoy, it’s always a single 8 or 10 ounce pour…slowly sipped.

I used to drink a LOT. But even a modest amount for me now seems like quite a bit compared to most of the other posts here.

I am good with my three pints a day. I’ve tried to stick with that number for a few years, but only lately have I really been sticking to it. I’d say I was doing a little more - say 3.5 per day for a few years (that is the full 500ml pint size).

Of course the alcohol is not my main goal, so I like to brew lower gravity beers - 5% ABV seems high for me. 4% is perfect. No triple-imperial nothins for me ever.

[quote=“Brew Meister Smith”]I used to drink a LOT. But even a modest amount for me now seems like quite a bit compared to most of the other posts here.

I am good with my three pints a day. I’ve tried to stick with that number for a few years, but only lately have I really been sticking to it. I’d say I was doing a little more - say 3.5 per day for a few years (that is the full 500ml pint size).

Of course the alcohol is not my main goal, so I like to brew lower gravity beers - 5% ABV seems high for me. 4% is perfect. No triple-imperial nothins for me ever.[/quote]
Same here. I can’t conceive of the kind of control some people have. A couple beers a couple times a week? Why homebrew at that point? Not saying it’s something you should do to get drunk, but how can you not have at least a beer, if not 3 everyday? I have 3 taps and I want to drink pint after pint of them every night. But I don’t. The last few nights, I’ve had 12-16oz of each throughout the night. I’ll usually drink more on Fridays and Saturdays, overdoing it more often than I’d like. That’s the part I’m working on, drinking less on the weekends so I can get up at a normal hour instead of sleeping in until 10 or 11am.

During the week, I’ve been drinking anywhere from 1-4 pints, trying to keep it at the lower end of that range. Sometimes, a person just needs a few beers. It’s hard not to when I’m hanging out with my girlfriend, watching something and having a good time.

This same topic came up a year or so ago, and I though the OP might find the responses interesting:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=112691

I’m still clocking in at about a pint a night during the week (4%-6%), with an additional 1-2 on the weekends…

[quote=“Dan S”]This same topic came up a year or so ago, and I though the OP might find the responses interesting:

I’m still clocking in at about a pint a night during the week (4%-6%), with an additional 1-2 on the weekends…[/quote]
Ah, yes, I remember. I just can’t conceive of having 1 pint a night only, even on weekends. If I didn’t homebrew, then yes, that would certainly be more conceivable.

I drink all I want :roll:

Which now a days at my age is 2 to 2 1/2 a day.

Man, if I did that, that’d be bad news bears.

[quote=“Dan S”]This same topic came up a year or so ago, and I though the OP might find the responses interesting:

I’m still clocking in at about a pint a night during the week (4%-6%), with an additional 1-2 on the weekends…[/quote]

Have not gone back to check yet, but I’m pretty sure my consumption was a tad higher.

OK I had to go back and check This is what I was drinking back then:

“I’d like to say I limit myself to 3 pints a night, but 4 or 5 is probably more accurate. Weekends tend to be similar, unless we are hanging out with friends in which case 10 or 12 may be the norm.”

FYI I no longer hang out with friends.

And what ever happened to that Edward Teach guy?

[quote=“Brew Meister Smith”]OK I had to go back and check This is what I was drinking back then:

“I’d like to say I limit myself to 3 pints a night, but 4 or 5 is probably more accurate. Weekends tend to be similar, unless we are hanging out with friends in which case 10 or 12 may be the norm.”

FYI I no longer hang out with friends.

And what ever happened to that Edward Teach guy?[/quote]
I don’t know, haven’t seen msawyer around either.

I was drinking about the same then as I am now, maybe slightly less now.

The people I especially don’t understand are the ones that say they don’t drink Sunday through Thursday. They must brew once every 3 months.

To be honest, I don’t even like brewing all that much. I just love beer. Drinkin’ it mostly. And the only way I get to drink the type of beer I want, in the quantity I want, off of taps in my kids play room, is to make it myself. Cuz beer just don’t make itself.

To be honest, I don’t even like brewing all that much. I just love beer. Drinkin’ it mostly. And the only way I get to drink the type of beer I want, in the quantity I want, off of taps in my kids play room, is to make it myself. Cuz beer just don’t make itself.[/quote]
That’s true. I do love brewing though, I dare to say almost more than drinking it. ALMOST.

I’m reading through that thread again that Dan S reposted. I’m just interested in how much others drink. There are multiple threads on HomeBrewTalk about this very issue and I’m amazed at the amount some people drink at both ends of the spectrum. I consider my intake to be fairly average at 2 beers a night during the weeknights and 4-6 on the weekends. But the dumba** CDC doesn’t think so. Like someone else said, it’s only a problem if it’s getting in the way of your life. If you can’t get out of bed on time to get to work on time, if it’s causing problems with your relationships, etc. Obviously, one shouldn’t be getting drunk every day or even every other day or maybe even once a week. But all of a sudden you become an alcoholic if you have more than 2 beers in a sitting.
If anything, it’s an issue for me only to the extent that once I have a beer, my ambition and motivation go down the drain. That’s why I try not to have a beer until later in the night, unless I intend to not be productive that night. Last night was one of those nights.

Sounds more like your play room :slight_smile:

Don’t get me wrong, I will occasionally get crazy and drink six or more brews, especially if we’re out with friends or at the brew club parties. I invariably pay for it the next morning, sometimes all day. after one of those I’ll abstain for a couple of days. Its just no fun and I’m trying to curb my appetite when I’m out, easier said than done though. Drinking affects your judgment about drinking. Even on weeknights when I’ve finished my second pint, it tastes so good I often pour another even though I rarely make it through it.

I personally love brewing more than drinking it.

Don’t finish it??? :shock:
I think that violates multiple Home Brew Beer Laws! :stuck_out_tongue:

Don’t finish it??? :shock:
I think that violates multiple Home Brew Beer Laws! :stuck_out_tongue: [/quote]
Yeah, I don’t think I ever leave beer in my glass unless it’s one of those weekend nights where I’ve pretty much drank until I don’t want any more.