Hop Growing Thread 2012!

A wind storm came by and took down all 6 of my bines a couple weeks ago. It was no big loss though as there was not much for product on any of the bine. A very dry summer and a large amount of beatles pretty much ruined the crop. I could have spent more time and energy and probably gotten a good crop, (daily waterings. pestisides, etc…), but I was short on both time and money AND the right attitude.

It ill be there next year. :cheers:

I’m still in the midst of harvesting and packaging up my hops. Tonight I packaged the Sterlings, and once again they’re proving to be my favorite of the ones I grow. After cramming 6 oz into one bag, and 5 oz into another, my right hand was a golden sticky fist of hoppy goodness! I felt like a king.

I really like the delicate balance of herbal, floral, and citrus that I get with this variety. Now I’m going to be walking around all day tomorrow sniffing my fingers like a teenager… :lol:

So it turns out my most vigorous bine was Centennial. I’m sure of it now that I’ve smelled my dry-hopped harvest APA. Its full of beautiful grapefruity goodness. I kegged the beer yesterday, can’t wait to get it on tap.

I am still confused how I know when to harvest my hops.

My Chinook are the most developed and if I pick one and squeeze it, it smells great. But they are still very green and plump.

All my others are in various stages of growth, but that has slowed with the shorter days. My Cascade and Centennial are fairly developed, but have little to no aroma when squeezed.

My worry is, I have not opportunity to harvest in the next two weeks. I am gone before first light and home at dark during the week and out of town for 4 days this weekend.

Territorial seed company in Oregon sells the rhyzomes separately and they sell a combo pack for all of their varieties for 20 something bucks