Hop Growing Thread 2012!

I haven’t had mite problems, but have had baaaaad Japanese Beatle problems. My best solution has been to check the plants multiple times per day, and kill each bug I can catch off the plant…I went away last year for a week in June, and when I came home, the Beatles had already shown up, and decimated two of my four varieties…not fun.

Question: My second year Fuggles are growing like made and started to grow shoots off from the main vines that I have trained up. Do I just let these guys go crazy or are you supposed to trim them back. Some of them are getting to be a couple feet long at this point.

don’t trim off the sidearms that are growing off the bine, this is where the hops grow…

^Thanks. Can you tell this is only my second year? I just didn’t really plan for this outward growth.

no worries man…this place is the best place I have found to learn about hop growing…pretty much everything and anything has been/will be discussed here.

my chinook is going crazy.

meanwhile my golding is doing OK. it has 2 bines that reached top of the 11 foot trellis. much better than it did last year, but still a little slow.

My first year cascade is still pretty small. It’s got 3 or 4 sprouts. one is about a foot long

How do you know if your plant has any nutrient deficiency, do all the leaves show signs or do only some leaves show signs. I have a golding and nugget that show signs of red/brownish spotting on the leaves that look like scabs, but they only show up on the 5 largest leaves on the main shoot and those leaves receive the most amount of sun light. I know it is not potassium deficiency because it is not on the edges, no curling of the leaves, only on the surface of the leaf. The other shoots have large leaves too and do not have any issue.
The plants were grown in miracle grow potting mix, they have their own compost mound covered with mulch. Is this spotting due to too much sun exposure or nutrient deficiency. It too dark out to take pictures and send, but you can only see the spotting if you are within an arms reach.

Our hops are doing pretty good, considering how cool and wet the spring has been here. We have 6 different varieties planted. Except for one, there are three mounds per variety. The posts are about 14’ high. These are all three year old plants.

I recently received an order of Mt Hood, Cascade, and Centennial from Great lakes hops, and they are taking off! Couldn’t be more pleased. Cascade has already reached 10 feet. Mt hood at about 8 and cent at about 6 with 10 bines at about 2 feet. Anyone else order from them?

:cheers:

Pictures of my 2 second year ‘Stucco House’ Cascade plants that have gone absolutely nuts this year… here it is the beginning of June. Wtf am I going to do with these early hops? Is this normal for late May early June? The plant on the right is a Magnum. That thing was a beast it’s first year but suffered some kind of setback this spring. The bines on it are just now growing well and climbing almost a foot a day. Still don’t know why it’s so far behind the Cascades. I included a picture of my beloved tomato plants in the garden as well! :cheers:

Sorry, wouldn’t let me post 4 pics for some reason…

First year Chinook buds!

Early year, no frost pruning.
Not sure I am ready to pick, but the flowers are.

:cheers:

Wow!
They look great!

Holy crap those bines are LOADED with hops! You have to share your fertilizer regimen if you have one!

Nice pics! Freaking fantastic!

What variety are they? Mine always have massive amounts of side arms yet I don’t see any on yours?

I’m amazed at how well they bounce back. Spider mites wreaked havoc on my 2nd year Mt Hood and Horizon, but they have recovered nicely with lots of new flowers.

[quote=“SolomonsCommune”]Holy crap those bines are LOADED with hops! You have to share your fertilizer regimen if you have one!

What variety are they? Mine always have massive amounts of side arms yet I don’t see any on yours?[/quote]

Thanks man.
Home grown compost is all I use, mostly horse manure/clover/grass clippings/fall leaves/chicken coop cleanings.
Top dress in the spring early prior to bine sprout.

These hops put the Z in CTZ. I call them the Grapes of Zeus.
They pick like grapes, handfuls of hugefirmrank flowers. :slight_smile:
They never seem to develop any sidearms. Makes for easy stripping.
Probably the most tidy and prolific plants I have.

Cheers to the bounty hop heads!

My Kaikogane hops are looking quite nice. This is my first year growing them, and the vines are about 3-4 m thus far, but no buds or bines. We’re having a lot of storms here (it’s the rainy season), and perhaps the middle of Tokyo isn’t the best environment. On top of that I had to start with plants rather than rhizomes. If anyone has any information concerning the aroma or taste properties of this hop variety, I’d be much appreciative. I was told it’s an aroma hop with a typical AA between 4.5-7.0%, and I know they have fairly high cohumulone levels (approaching 50%), which is normally seen as a negative by a majority of the brewing community.

Those sound amazing. What do you know about them, and what are they like?

1. vines=bines in the case of Humulus. So I am guessing you have some. No way to tell individual variety componants until you test them!

keep us updated on your results. The brewing community is always looking for the next Ace. Umm… Sorachi. Yep. Give it to me. :wink:

[quote=“pinnah”]
Those sound amazing. What do you know about them, and what are they like?

1. vines=bines in the case of Humulus. So I am guessing you have some. No way to tell individual variety componants until you test them!

keep us updated on your results. The brewing community is always looking for the next Ace. Umm… Sorachi. Yep. Give it to me. :wink: [/quote]

I know nothing more than they are a mutant of Shinshuwase, which itself is a cross between Saazer x White Vine and an aroma hop. I’m assuming that will make it more noble-like. I also was told that they were late maturing, but I have no idea how late is late. I was complaining to the wife that I couldn’t find hop rhizomes here in Japan, and she stumbled across confirmed female plants in a nursery while buying herbs. I asked around the Japanese homebrewers I know here, but they’re all trying to grow American hop varieties that they’ve somehow managed to carry over from the US.

Oh, and I think my “bines” should have been “burrs.”