Grain crushing question

I am an extract brewer(for sake of time) and a full time farmer. We recently picked up some barley for planting and sprouting. I would like to attempt malting , dehydrating and crushing some for a small experimental batch (1 or 2 gallons). Since I won’t be be buying a mill just for an experiment, what would be the best way to crush the malted barley. Youtube has a few vids. What would happen if I just used a coffee blade grinder. What is the difference between crushed grain vs. ground up grain? Thanks in advance.

In a pinch you can use a bladed coffee grinder a burr style coffee grinder might give you a more consistent grind. We generally use a roller grinder to control the consistency of the grind. Yes it matters. If you don’t have a consistent grind you will have a hard time replicating the recipe, but you can make beer

Welcome back!
Too fine a crush, stuck mash too. Isn’t there some folks using a corona coffee grinder with decent results?
I like the idea you’re gonna try the malting process as well… keep us posted how your endeavor plays out!
Sneezles61

@bpoppp sneezles61 I was thinking the same thing with the corona mill. Depending on the amount you can put it in a zip lock bag and crush it with a rolling pin /bottle. Might have to do it several times based on the amount but won’t cost anything.

1 Like

This reminded me of a batch that I made once. An Old Peculier clone. Ordered a bunch of stuff online. Fantastic recipe. Partial mash and for this recipe I believe that I mashed three pounds of Maris Otter. I don’t exactly remember the quantity. I would have to go back and find that recipe. Anyway, I ordered it crushed and they sent it whole. Let them know and they refunded me for that part of the order…

Anyway, got out the large zip lock bag and a rolling pin. Did small amounts at a time and checked that it was the proper size and done right.

One of the absolute best batches that I ever made. Not sure if it was the music that I played while I brewed that day or the Mexican brown sugar and Lyle’s Golden Syrup that was in it. But I took a five gallon keg to a disc golf event (Ice Bowl) and the entire thing was gone in about 45 minutes time. Meanwhile, one of the local breweries kegs was still going and not done. I was told I should sell that one. LOL. Because it was a clone recipe…

Moral of the story is a zip lock bag and a rolling pin will work fine. Just make sure you know what the crushed grain should look like before you start the process. And that comes with experience.

3 Likes

not surprised about the clone recipe. A lot of good clone recipes out there. The thing about a rolling pin is doing 10 or 12 pounds would be tedious. But a small amount of specialty grains would be fine especially since conversion is not an issue