Freezing dry yeast

I have some dry yeast packs in the fridge, but I’ve noticed that a water bottle next to the yeast packs has frozen. How bad does freezing mess with dry yeast?

It’s a couple us-05s…

Not too bad. Refrigerator is best. This is from Fermentis posted in a thread on Coopers:
Thank you for contacting Fermentis.

Our yeast can be frozen, under the conditions that the sachet has not been open. Freezing the yeast will not prolong the storage and is actually slightly worse than refrigeration temperatures. The best case is to keep the yeast (sealed) in a temperature range between 36-42F. Keeping the yeast in a freezer will not kill the yeast, however can cause damage to the cells as the yeast still have ~2% moisture. Please let me know if there is anything else that I can help you with.

Thank you,

Kevin Lane,
Technical Sales Manager.”

2 Likes

I store my dry yeast in the freezer with no problem. It does keep much longer pass the expiration date. You will want to let it warm up to room temperature before use so you don’t shock them to death adding to warm wort. The reason you can’t freezer liquid yeast is that because of the ice when it forms it’s sharp and punture’s the yeast cell killing it

From Danstar FAQs:
"Should I refrigerate or freeze my dry yeast until I use it?

Yes, although dry yeast can be stored at room temperature and performs well for the duration of the shelf life it is preferable to store it at colder temperatures. Dry yeast will always lose some of its viability and activity over time but at colder temperatures these losses are less than at warmer temperatures. If you choose to freeze your dry yeast for storage, let it warm to room temperature in the package before rehydration & pitching."

1 Like

@damian_winter Do you have the link to Danstar FAQs? I can no longer find it with their new website.

Thanks guys! I’ll use the yeast and not worry.

I’d like to brew this weekend, but the schedule is a but full for a trip to the LHBS. I’d go in for a $4 pack of yeast, spend and hour oogling the gear, and come home with my wallet $100 lighter. I dread/love going there.

1 Like

You could always make a yeast starter to make sure it’s viable.

I am with you on visiting the LHBS. I do the same thing plus the obligatory BS’n with other brewers, store staff, etc… Seems like I always look at stuff and think I need an extra one or two.

Sorry I do not have a link I have an account that’s how I login in for all info there

I pitched that yeast. Direct sprinkle; no hydration; no starter.

It worked normally. Krausen is just dropping now.

3-gallons of 1.058 All Grain IPA. Almost ready for the dry hops.

Thanks again!

1 Like