Foam stopper for yeast starter in erlenmeyer flask has become saturated with foam

Hello members, first time posting here. I currently have my first attempt at a yeast starter spinning away on a stir plate. After 12 hours the foam stopper has become saturated with foam and the foam is escaping around the rim where the stopper is inserted. I’m wondering if this poses a threat to the health of the starter, and if I should replace the foam stopper with a sanitized piece of aluminum foil. It is a 2 liter sized starter for a high gravity IPA and I’m planning on brewing tomorrow. Cheers !

Provided the foam stopper was sanitized before inserting, there should be no risk. I had that happen once on a Belgium yeast starter, foamed all over the counter by morning. Are you planning to cold crash and decant on your pitch or just dump it all in high krausen?

:beers:
Rad

When I have that happen with my stir plate starter (likely same a yours), I put a piece of sanitized aluminum foil over the top loosely as you suggest…It will still make a mess. Then next time, I pitch less like 1000ml so there is room or I do it in a gallon jug.

1 Like

I checked it before leaving for a family function and the stopper was almost completely pushed off the tip. I placed an old towel under the plate and placed a sanitized piece of foil on top.

1 Like

And I’ve had that happen with a “shaken not stirred” style as well… I’ve just taken the foam stopper, rinse it out well with tap water… A couple of spritz from star-san in a spray bottle… squeeze it a bit and re-apply…
Clean yer hands well, scrub in with star-san and clean up the mouth too… At this point, being sanitary is wise… and I doubt much, if any bugs can compete with the yeast.
Sneezles61

I through out my foam stopper after a single use. I prefer the ease of sanitized aluminum foil