First brew, how does it look?

Thanks for thr advice on the thermometer strips. I have seen some set ups with those and was curious about them. I going to get a couple to put on my one gallon glass carboy. Going to practice doing some one gallon batches before I up it to the 5 gallon kit. Airlock looks better since I cleaned it out. I can still tell it is bubbling because the plastic piece inside is elevated. Question about the hose method, I have read that burbon barrel one gallon kit is very aggressive fermenter. Would it be best to start off with the hose in a jar of sanitizer and then after a few days switching to an airlock? Thank you so much for all your help

A lot of brewers always use a blow off tube on every beer, and leave it in throughout. I pick and choose depending on the yeast, prior experiences etc . If you think you might need it, use it.
I think as a new brewer a good practice would be to use a blow off tube and when the kraeusen and fermentation die down, then switch to an airlock.

1 Like

Back when I used gallon carboys for fermentation, I didn’t move quickly enough to always starting with a blog off tube.

Agreed.

1 Like

I stay with blow off tube all the way trough the fermenting process. Sneezles61

1 Like

I’m new to this as well and am brewing slobber too. I was curious as to what happens if you may have used too much yeast? Fermentation is going crazy. Getting ready to go to the tube. Just brewed yesterday and it is 65F.

Is the beer at 65° or the air temperature? An air temperature of 65° would mean the beer in the fermentor is probably at least 5° higher.

I didn’t reread the entire topic. If temperature control was already discussed just ignore this.

Sorry air temperature 65f. First ever batch so just wanting it to turn out good. Is too much yeast a major issue? The kit instructions said use half and went a bit over say maybe 3/4.

You’ll be fine…pretty sure all first time 1g brewers do just as you did :grinning:

Wheew. Thanks.

Set your fermentor in a tub or sink with 65° water. Your fermentation may be getting too warm if it is super active. The water will draw off some of the heat to hold the fermentation temperature steady. May only need to control the temperature for today.

1 Like

My fermentation died down after the first day pretty good but still fermentating. I can see it still fermentating. I was the same way about the yeast. I don’t like use half because I am OCD and want to use exacting what it says. I have read darker beers and more forgiving than lighter beers so I started with the slobber instead of one of my other kits.

You are most likely okay. A warmer ambient may be helpful now. Just a couple of degrees would be enough to make sure the yeast does everything it can do…

Thank you gents. As I go in plan on stepping up my game and equipment.
With this thing still being very active should I wait until it settles down before I put in the tube or is it OK to do it now?

I would put the fermentor in a tub or deep tray of 65°F water if the krausen is still rising in the blow off tube. This will keep the fermentation temperature from getting hot and producing fusel alcohols.

When the fermentation begins to slow the yeast will produce less heat and the beer will begin cooling also.

Copy that. In a water bath now. I went ahead and put the tube in now and am cleaning the air lock. Think I’ll use the tube method at first for the next few batches just to be safe.

Working like a champion now. Just air bubbles in the tube nothing else.:+1:

1 Like

Nothing to this is there? Really just kidding… You can make it simple or become a brew scientist, its up to you! Sneezles61

I’m catching up on some of the comments from earlier today.

For one gallon kits and common styles brewed as gallon recipes - nothing really bad happens if ‘too much’ dry yeast is used. I’ve read that over-pitching yeast can lead to “off flavors”, but for the styles that I brew (brown ales, pale ales, IPAs), I’m not experiencing that or getting that as feedback.

I’ve done a couple of batches where I pitched a quarter packet in a gallon batch. The came out fine. I went back to pitching half packets because it was less work.

@digitalman87, @shortshot: If you enjoy the first couple of bottles from your first batch, try to set aside one bottle and let it condition for two months. Brown Ales tend to need a couple of extra weeks of conditioning to reach their prime.

Thanks for the info. Makes me feel a little easier.