Fermenter's Favorite Oxygen Wash

Hey everyone,

I received an Essential Starter Kit this holiday season and had a question about the Oxygen Wash that was provided. I can’t seem to find anything about the product on the packaging, instructions or anywhere else. I’ve spoken to a few people in other forums regarding the matter but I want to see if anyone here has experience given the product is sold thru NB. According to the packaging 1 oz. of the product mixed with a gallon of water is suitable for sanitizing equipment. There is no mention as to whether the solution needs to be rinsed away before using equipment that has been sanitized, so I simply sprayed some on with a spray bottle, waited and then wiped it away with a clean towel. Brew day came and went and now my beer is fermenting in aforementioned fermenter. I’m wondering if I should be concerned that I didn’t rinse away the wash. I’ve bought some Star-San in the mean time (wishing I had waited) but I’m learning patience is a key aspect to this hobby. Thanks in advance for any insight you might have.

EDIT: Just spoke with NB - According to the representative Fermenters Favorite Oxygen Wash does NOT need to be rinsed away. Hopefully this information helps someone else.

Not sure which you got here is info on 1 stepContains no chlorine, which can leave a film on glassware and corrode stainless steel. One Step is an excellent oxygen based cleanser. Requires two minutes of contact time, no rinsing required! Environmentally friendly and non-toxic. Use 1 tablespoon per gallon of water.

Note: while technically a cleanser, One Step does have some sanitizing properties through the release of hydrogen peroxide. It can be used in no-rinse applications in most home brewing tasks. Here is Easy clean No-rinse oxygen-based cleanser for beer-brewing and wine-making equipment. Safe for all materials.

Best when used in combination with a dedicated sanitizer like Star San. This is easy clean

Instructions for use: Use one tablespoon of Easy Clean per gallon of water and allow two minutes contact time.

Hey thanks for the quick reply. The product is SKU# U41197 on the Northern Brewer Website. I can’t find any info on it’s contents unfortunately.

Here it is info for it Harness the power of oxygen to make cleaning your brewing equipment easier and faster! Fast acting Fermenter’s Favorites® Oxygen Wash tears through built up deposits on your brewing equipment. It helps loosen organic materials in minutes and rinses clean leaving no residue behind.

Instructions: Use 1 oz per gallon for general cleaning, 2 oz per gallon for heavy soils.

Best when used in combination with a dedicated sanitizer like Star San

Note: It’s safe to use Fermenter’s Favorites® Oxygen Wash on glass, plastic, and stainless steel, but is not recommended for use on aluminum. Our oxygen wash is also great for removing stubborn labels from bottles.

Right I’ve seen the sales pitch they’ve got, but they don’t mention if the product requires rinsing. No ingredients list to be found anywhere either.

You are correct it does not say if it’s rinse free cleanser. Maybe contact northern brewer and ask I’m sure they can give you a little more info on it than I can

Sounds like a cleanser, not a sanitizer. I’d let it go as is, but in the future, rinse then Star-San.

That’s what I thought, but the package mentions mixing 1oz of wash in a gallon of water to sanitize.

^^^ This.

I just got my starter kit also. Sprayed with this dilution, didn’t rinse, everything was fine. I bought StarSan for future use, though.

1 Like

To save a few bucks, I like using OxyClean for washing, and StarSan (purchased in 32 0z bottles) for sanitizing. A big ole tub or box of OxyClean lasts a long time, and also works great for de-labeling bottles (that have paper labels.)