Denny's BVIP is Dangerous

Geez, it’s just gotta be torture for some peeps to supply a decadent crop for others… I suppose you can’t just allow that orchid to be grown by just any old person… Making vanilla a bit more accessible… Sneezles61

If you read that link you’ll see that the original sources of Vanilla have been pushed to near extinction because of geo-political forces. People talk about “Blood Diamonds” but Vanilla is a crop of the same ilk.

Now there’s another cause that needs the world to watch… Sneezles61

Yes. I usually use an oz. per gal., but that’s on the high side

No…they’re not just any orchids

I’ve used vanilla from a lot of different sources. The best came from hawaiianvanilla.com

cool. they look happy and have some equity i’m sure

Thanks. I found a recipe on BeerSmith and in the brewer’s notes they recommend pulling a sample and add bourbon to the sample a little at a time to get the right volume of bourbon to pour in the bottling bucket. I’ll have to think about this as the grain bill is large and I only have a 10 gallon brew kettle. If my calculations are correct, I’d need 9 gallons to start. Add the almost 18 lbs of grain and I’d be overflowing my kettle.
Would it be appropriate for a BIAB to use less water for mashing and dilute prior to the boil?

3 Likes

Sure, no reason you can’t do that. To get the amount of bourbon I like, I poured 4 4 oz. samples and dosed each with a different amount of bourbon. Determine which you like best and scale up the amount of bourbon to the batch size. Remember, there’s no reason to use top shelf bourbon. It shouldn’t shout “BOURBON!” at you. You want the bourbon, beer and vanilla to come across as a single integrated flavor.

Are you afraid Drew will catch you using… Balanced? :smirk: Sneezles61

1 Like

:slight_smile: Actually, in this case integrated is more accurate…:wink:

3 Likes