Dead Ringer fermentation

I’m a week in and high krausen is beginning to fall out… I’ve been fermenting in the low 60’s F should I keep it there or let it rise to ambient temp of 66 68 degrees F
I’m using Safale US 05 yeast

I’ll vote yes… after the first few days of fermentation, your risk of developing off flavors die down, and the higher temperature might help the yeast knock off another few gravity points.

1 Like

Let it rise. I always let my ales rise after the first 3-4 days of active fermentation to allow for a D rest.

Just FYI, I’ve heard 05 can throw a pretty strong peach flavor at temps below 63. I’ve never used it.

1 Like

I also let the temperature of the beer in the primary free rise to ambient when the krausen begins to fall. My ambient is 68°F in the winter and 66° in the summer.

I have found US-05 and WY 1056 do throw a peach flavor when fermented below 65°F. First noticed this in NB’s Dry Irish Stout. I have brewed the Dead Ringer Extract recipe many times below 65°. Did not notice the peach flavor. The Cascade hops must mask it or the peach flavor is a good complement to the hops.

EDIT: Centennial hops. Cascade is for my Amber Ale Thank you @dannyboy58

1 Like

The beer from which this one was allegedly cloned uses all centennial hops I believe. I’ve had it more than a few times and thought there as a slight peach flavor to it. I’ve noticed it in my own all centennial IPA as well and I ferment with wy1272 at 61-63 degrees.