Cider press

Racking through a short piece of copper tubing is sometimes effective at removing sulfur. Might be worth a shot.

I put raisons in mine and it seems to be less dry also try a different yeast the Belle goes pretty low. As will the Cote de Blanc. I use my London ale yeast

I’ll rack my my Kviek one this W/E… I’ll pull a big wiff of it… Ifn its mousy, I’ll employ some copper…
I don’t mind it dry… You can always add some sweetness to a glass to suit your taste. Sneezles61

Interesting. Do you do anything with the raisins before adding them? Do you just drop them in?

I just toss them in but if your the nervous type soak them in vodka

I’ve had several recipes call for raisins. Typically I thought they play a role as a nutrient substitute. I can never detect at the levels used a taste. Grapes almost always come with their owns yeasts. I wouldn’t be surprised if raisins did as well.

The other thing raisons do is add surface area on the bottom of the fermenter which stimulates fermentation I think it’s the skins that help give some body. I’ll bet you could buy some grape skins and add those for an expierimt

Tannins… from grape skins… I brought some apple cider to practice last night… From out of the junior came that mousy smell. I’m going to configure some way to put a hunk of copper in line of the dispensing end to see if this helps… I mean the flavor is good to me… Sneezles61

Mousy smell huh…interesting…had a mousy smell in the brew cave for a few days…i did find a dead moust day 2 days ago but the smell persists…maybe it’s my fermenting cider huh? Didn’t notice when I sepped the hydro sample from the tube…

Maybe you can’t get your nose into test jar like you can a glass.? I drained the gas off the keg, and recharged it again… not as mousy now…:expressionless: Sneezles61

You may have to do it a few times but it will clear. Don’t serve it until it clears or you risk turning people off

How long did you ferment before you kegged?

Looks like I started fermenting 26 days ago… And 5 days ago I kegged the Belle… The Kviek went into the fridge 5 days ago for cold crashing… Thinking I didn’t let is sit long enough? Maybe on the same line as a DMS rest for barley?
Tomorrow I’ll tinker with the Kviek… They started at the same time… See if the mouse has left the fermenter! :grin: Sneezles61

Time never hurts a cider. I think it may be the yeast. I had a sulfer bomb once can’t remember if I used saison yeast on it but maybe because I changed yeast. By the way that sulfer bomb eventually cleared and it turned into a good cider. I bottled it

I had a mouse get into my 6-gallon carboy and die. Had to wash his/her skeletal remains out, but after a frontal cleaning assault with bleach, I made a cider in it. Threw ridiculous amounts of sulfur that never cleared. I named it dead mickey cider.

2 Likes

Sounds delicious

2 Likes

Only to a cat.

2 Likes

Exactly

1 Like

Gee Whiz!! I had one die in that one too!! A couple of winters ago, we had mouse-esses downstairs… I hadn’t used that one for a long time… Last spring went to “thin out” stuff… and there is was… not much left… I did clean and it had star san in for most the summer… I did do a thorough clean and another sanitizing before I put cider into it… I think I even told about the infestation… 2 years ago? So Pork Chop, dead mickey cider clone it is! Sneezles61

1 Like

Maybe that’s the key to the perfect cider.

1 Like