Cider press

I’ve seen pressing done in a wooden crate wrap the apples in cheese cloth and top with a board and pile rocks on top.

1 Like

As far as yeast I’ve used 3411 saison, w34/70, us-05 and the 1968 London ale the 1968 ale yeast has become my standard. Also add raisons for body and some brown sugar

:bulb: plastic milk crate

1 Like

Ratchet straps to the handles over a 4x4 on top of a square of plywood.

1 Like

I’m going to try it, that’s too good of an idea.

Well I had a good test today… The paper grocery sacks full of apples each yielded a gallon of juice…
The problems I encountered was this… Keeping the pumice contained… So heres what I’m going to do…
I will look for a BIAB bag thats some what course, they should be able to be comfortably put in a 5 gallon bucket…
I do have one but the mesh is so fine… Even the juice wouldn’t come out!! I fought with the cheese cloth too… no go for me…
The garbage disposal gizmo worked great! The press, along with some mods from your recommendations, works very well… I will coat the whole press with marine varnish once I’m done this season… Again, there’ll be a few more pictures once I get the bugs worked out…
I spent about 2 hours to get 3 gallons… I was wondering… how do you know when you’ve gotten enough juice from the pumice? A good W/E with this build… DV8 from the norm! Sneezles61

We used to have a press on the family farm. Hydraulic jacks and a structure related to @sneezles61 contraption on ‘roids. We put the ground apples In cheesecloth between wooden latticework with a solid wooden top plate. There were several layers with no sides save for the cheesecloth. We didn’t load the press to the point of apples oozing out the sides. The juice would run into a large sloped open pan and into a tank from which it was jugged in glass jugs.

Like I said paint strainer bags. You know when the juice is out when she won’t press no more. Ha ha. I tried getting the pulp to squeeze a bit more flavor but not worth it, apples are cheap. I got to hit the orchard and get some. Small crop his year

I looked at our hardware store… none there… I see our host has some bags… I’ll order today and be ready for next W/E! Sneezles61

Might be a worth a try at the local auto parts store. They usually carry them here.

Had to get some star san too, so it worked… Did I say I like this free shipping stuff too? Sneezles61

1 Like

So here is my gizmo in action… The first pict shows the course mesh bag in the mush bucket…
The second one is just juicing… I did 4 gallons today in about 3 hours… The only mishap was dumping the juice left over in the bucket into the press barrel… I thought it would be easier than a funnel and pouring into the carboy… WRONG… It came out those side holes, past the tray! lost about a half gallon… Its all fun! Sneezles61

1 Like

I have 3 gallons fermenting with Belle Saison, and 4 gallons with Kviek,Voss. They are just kinda taking their time… the starting gravity was 1.045… I’m looking forward to the comparison’s…
Yes I’ve made cider before, so its not a new adventure… but the cider making gizmo is new… and its very nice… Next year I’ll do alot more! Sneezles61

2 Likes

Belle Saison yeast is done… 1.0097… It tasted more like you took an apple off the tree and ate it… To me, thats good! So now I put the Kviek Voss on top of the boiler to help usher along it fermentation… Sneezles61

Some research has led me an apple tree named frostbite. Sounds it would be a good tree for up here… I shall get 2 going this spring then! Sneezles61

I am going to have to try this yeast!

1 Like

Kegged the Belle Saison cider today… Not too bad… It is dry… But it has a flavor of just grabbing an apple off the tree and eating it… I’m good with that.
The Kviek cider is in the fridge cold crashing now… If all goes well, Thanksgiving will find my keezer full! Sneezles61

3 Likes

Belle is leaving a mousey/sulfer smell… Very drinkable… I would suggest wearing the nose plugs you swim with! :fearful: Sneezles61

If you keep releasing the pressure from the keg you can usually get rid of the sulfer smell. Some yeast throw alot more sulfer than others.

Just drained the gas so it wouldn’t pour… Then applied some gas… Good to go! Thank you B_C! Wife still isn’t a fan… too dry, sounds like my kinda drink! Sneezles61

1 Like