Brewing goals for 2017

You will really like kegging once you start. my biggest problem was what to do with all the bottles i had collected.

We only have enough bottles around the house right now to do one 5 gal batch at a time. We are excited just to have it all more readily available in whatever kgerator/keezer we end up building and not deal with all the work of all the bottles on bottling day.

there i always room for improvement.

i had enough bottles for four batches at one time. i ended up giving them to my son and another guy.

Hi all, can anyone point me to the “new to the forum introduction” area? trying to navigate is a tad confusing…Thanks!

No specific category… either General or Getting Started should work. Welcome!

Thanks! Im actually looking for some gluten free alternatives… long story but would like to delve into that area. I know rice is an option, sorgum as well. Ive been brewing for about 11 years, so just a case of trying some new stuff.

Here is a great gluten-free recipe for you to start off 2017 http://ghostfishbrewing.com/ghostfishblog/gfhomebrewing-grapefruit-ipa/

Sweet was actually just now looking at that! Now if I could just find a home brew supply place that carried sorghum…KIDDING!!!

Yeah I took advantage of all the sales this Christmas and stocked up on malt bought 55 lbs vienna 50 lb munich 55 Maris otter a and 50 lbs of pilsner malt. Hit niko for hops and yumika valley got about 10 lbs of different hops and got fridge full of yeast. Going to be a great year

Been financially strapped for a year or so, which has severely curtailed my brewing activities. Hopefully 2017 will see a tad more in the ol’ bank account for leisure activities…Im glad that I DID purchase the fast pitch kit a while ago, was able to determine viability of yeast prior to making the wort…paid for itself right there.

Nice! I just have too many beers I want to make. Made a mid-1800’s vintage RIS yesterday, next up is a mixed ferment biere de garde and dandelion saison. Half bottled clean and the other half on brett. And then I need a plan for all the bootleg biology cultures I bought when the fall solera blend came out. Then it should be time for spontaneous inoculation, and then blending time… starting to sound like work!

Saw one on youtube with an open fermenter tank. Pitched the basic yeast, then just left it open to get whatever was blowing in. looked to be about 30-40 gallon batch.

1 Like

Did they leave it open to gather local microflora? I’m a big fan of open fermentation… it increases esters big time on a saison. Pretty common with British brewers, too, although they pretty much maintain clean rooms to prevent contamination.

I’ve had some really good success with leaving my kettle open while the wort cools to collect microbes. If you pitch yeast, there’s a good chance that the positive pressure from active fermentation will keep out any microbes, and the yeast will outcompete anything that does fall in there. But there are other benefits to open fermentation… good stuff!

Yes, it was about the size of a door, the wort was very shallow. they pitched the yeast and just left it wide open. The tank was right next to an open window. He said, as you just did that the active fermentation will put a “cap” of CO2 on top of the fermenting beer. they way I understood it, the wild microbes entered during the time that the yeast was getting established, once active fermentation was under way, it was enough to put the cap on it.

2 Likes

Me more brewing this year. In search of the holygrail.

Look into “Clariry Ferm” it makes any all grain beer into gluten reduced beer. I’ve been using it some with good results.

I want to go from extract to BIAB. Have to decide on whether to go with a basket or a bag first and get a bigger brew kettle.

1 Like

Bags are cheap and you can get started in the pot you have. The basket will be determined by your pot so do some research then wait for a sale and pounce

1 Like

I have an 8 gallon pot. Can I still get a five gallon batch out of that?