Brewing goals for 2017

Sure you can if you do it now. I used to do alot of 5 gallon batches in an 8 gallon pot. Are you doing fives in it now?

Yes but at times it gets a little tight. Have found that if I don’t want to top it off after boil then I have to have about 6.25 to 6.50 gallons to account for boil off and depending on the amount of extract etc that can bring it pretty close to the top of the kettle at times. Didn’t know if the pot would work with the amount of grain I would have to use to do BIAB.

It will still work the grains don’t displace that much because of absorption. You don’t have to mash full volume either hold back some water and do a pour over. For instance say you have 10lbs grain heat 5gal of water to strike temperature about 170. Put in your bag and stir in your grain. Cover with a blanket and go for a walk. After about a half hour heat up another couple of gallons of water. Pull the bag after an hour, now you probably have 4 1/2 gallons of wort. Set the bag in a strainer over the pot and just pour more water over it to get your boil volume and then proceed as usual.

2 Likes

Me thinking use my mashtun for biab. Once done at the same time got my boil kettle ready. Add the wort. To 6 gallon. And end up with a 5 gallon batch on the end

1 Like

What I do is line my tun with my bag to mash then heat more water in the brew pot after an hour pull the bag from the cooler and drop in the pot and stir. After ten minutes pull the bag and fire the burner while draining the tun into the kettle. I think we are hijacking this post though may want to move to another

Thanks much for the information. So do you squeeze the bag or just let it drain? Ive heard both ways.

I let drain for about 15 minutes…then give the bag a squeeze.

2 Likes

I’d like to get a few solid table beer recipes of my own together. A mild and (after the latest Chop & Brew) perhaps a Svagdricka. I’m finding making really good small beers to be a bigger challenge than big beers.

1. Not burn out on brewing right away. Just got back into it after about half a decade off and invested some decent $$$, so I need to keep at it.
  2. Make a few kettle sours/berliners/goses. Love the style and it sounds crazy easy.
  3. Plant my own hops.
  4. Use lots of local herbs/produce in my brews.
  5. Maybe invest in a kegging system toward the end of the year?

The one person who got me into brewing. He does. Allgrain. But last week we did a session. I did pull the back out to let it drain. He did say squeeze the bag gently. So you got more flav.

Beer goals for 2017 are to brew more than I did in 2016 (shouldn’t be hard), starting with my overdue once-every-18-month lambic session.

Next is to brew my first commercial beer. I’ve got the licence…

5 Likes

I’ll be converting my three vessel propane setup to electric so I can brew in the comfort and convenience of my basement. And lagers, lagers, lagers!

1 Like

You’re gonna need to elaborate when you get a minute…

Pictures, pictures, pictures!

But, of course!

Finland requires beer that will be sold to be produced only by a licenced corporation in a licenced facility that meets food production standards.
A couple years ago, my wife and I started a winery (www.finnviini.fi , www.facebook.com/finnviini) and got the licence for making beer at the same time. But we didn’t have the equipment or a place to make beer. In the next month or so some local guys will be opening up a contract brewery, so we can use their facility to make our first batches.
There is a craft beer revolution going on in Finland right now; with most focused on IPAs. We’ll see how some of my non-IPA beers are received.

5 Likes

@rebuiltcellars good for you! Best of luck!

1 Like

Sounds like you’re in the right place at the right time! Good luck!

1 Like

Well, I started last year strong with some new equipment, but life got in the way as I had to prepare for surgery. I did, however, manage to collect up stuff for brewing, so I’m ready for this year. I think I have 15 lbs of various hops stored away now and grain for 6 or so batches. Just need someone to help me get some underway. Been playing around making new recipes too.

I’ve been thinking that my goal for this year aside from being more consistent with brewing will be to add a pump to my system and get my equipment set up permanently so that I’m not spending time dragging it out of storage.

1 Like

Maybe I didn’t read, but thats why you haven’t been around for a while? I hope surgery fixed what was needed… A pump was a welcome addition to my system. It helped to take some of the labor away from the process. I have my system on wheels. roll it out, when done roll it back,out of the way. Sneezles61