Blood orange black iPA or double ipa

I currently have a 1 gallon kit and am enjoying brewing but only have a few brews under my belt mostly kits. I would love to make a blood orange black iPA or double ipa. Can anyone recommend a kit, items I would need, or recipe to follow to be able to brew something like that?

Thanks in advance

I don’t do 1 gallon batches, but I did enjoy the 5 gallon black IPA kit that Northern Brewer sells. That might be a place to start. I’ve been working with a Norwegian yeast called Kveik, available from The Yeast Bay, that gives off sharp, orange peel esters. Worked really well in my last porter. That plus an orange peel tincture might get point you in the right direction.

1 Like

I do not see these meshing, IMHO.

That said you can start with the black IPA kit and adding This extract

Are you using a 1 gallon fermentor for the 1 gallon brews? A beer like a double IPA will have more space taken up by hops. You may want to get a larger fermentor. The deli in a local grocery store has 2.5 gallon frosting buckets. They sell them for $0.50. The lids have o-rings for an air tight seal. Drill a hole for a airlock grommet and you have a new fermentor.

1 Like

Great advice here. These buckets are great as a primary for 1-2 gallon batches, and as secondary for 2-3 gallon batches.

I will definitely look at the local store for a new fermentation bucket. That sort of bucket would make it easier to ferment and keeping light out. I was going with tel he double ipa or black ipa due to alcohol content plus I like ipa. My main thing is I would like to make a really nice blood orange in the 6-8 alcohol by volume that has an excellent taste.