BIAB Off the Topper

Anyone try this kit single vessel BIAB? If so, how did it turn out?

No picture or link included with post.

@flars

Not sure what you mean. NB has an all grain kit for this, I was asking if anyone tried it out using Brew in a Bag.

I have no pics to show.

Thought you meant a hardware kit for doing BIAB by using only a single vessel.

My misunderstanding.

Are you talking about this kit?

I have not tried it but I am interested in trying it before moving all the way to all grain.

Sorry for all the confusion. I currently have a BIAB set up and was wondering if anyone on here has taken the Off The Topper AG kit that NB sells and tried it in a BIAB.

I have done the somewhat similar Plinian Legacy all grain twice and it works well BIAB. Except for the LARGE grain bill, which can make lifting the bag challenging…

I did this one a few weeks ago. I batch sparged after biab and in the end I hit my target OG. this one is going to be a delicious hop- monster if the samples are any indication!

It’s kegged and on tap…this one is delicious!
I’ve never had Heady Topper so I can’t speak to how it stacks up but this is one tasty IIPA. Crazy hops and a decent malt flavor to balance it.

Thanks for the update Roland. Good job. Can’t wait to brew it myself.

Love your tag, obviously you are looking forward to the new Stephen King Gunslinger movie!
Glad your Heady came out well.

Actually, I’m not… His books NEVER seem to translate well to the screen. If they would stick to the source material I would be happy but it sounds already as if they will be deviating…oh well, guess I’ll just brew something to drown my sorrows:)

Bingo. I liked The Shining…but everything else just loses touch of what the books conveyed. With the Dark Tower series being so epic…there’s so much opportunity to ruin it. I imagine it will be funny when Odetta/Detta/Susannah calls Idris Elba a honkey :smile:

Exactly!!!

About The Dark Tower. I agree I really wish that they would have done a HBO series with it. Some people get so upset when you mention it is weird to say the least that Idris Elba is playing Roland, what if they had Cameron Diaz play Susannah? or Maisie Williams play Jake? I don’t mind changing things between the book and the movie. Some things just don’t translate well to TV/Movies, but stay true to the main plot.
When you mention The Shining that brings the point of things not looking good on film as they did in the book. I liked the movie version, but the TV version was just not as good. One of the creepiest/scariest scenes in The Shining (book) was the hedge animals coming alive. That was not put in the movie version but was in the TV version and it came off more funny then scary.
Also just to stay true to beer and all I brewed the Pliny the Elder 1 gallon clone a couple weeks ago will bottle it this weekend, looking forward to it.

Related to The Shining netflix has this film called Room 237 which is pretty entertaining. Some people REALLY liked the shining. My take on his best films was Shawshank and the Body(Stand By Me).

I’ve been in room 237!

Wow did this thread get jacked or what! hahaha!

Sorry, my fault! I took the bait on the Stephen King reference. I can find a beer reference in this though, Double Mountain brewery is about 20 minutes from room 237. They make a mean double IPA and Outstanding fresh hop IPAs (that movie was filmed in Oregon)

No no all good brotha! Brew on!

1 Like