Basic Kegging Questions

They way i did when i did create my kegurator 3 holes for the tap faucit. And one hole for the co2 line. But if you drill holes make sure you dont dammage the cooling elements

1 Like

No matter what you carb at, if you serve at a higher pressure and leave the CO2 on, it will equalize to that. Some people shut off the tank if not in use to prevent it from emptying out if there is a leak. On my portable jockey box system I turn it off since it gets bounced around and could get a leak any time. On the kegorator it remains on all of the time.

If you shut off the tank and have a leak the beer will go flat or not have much pressure so you will know but not lose the entire tank. Once you get comfortable with it then you will probably leave it on.

Hmmm reminds me to go check that keg in the garage fridge carbing now.

It sure seems to me, that even if the CO2 is dissolved into the brew appropriately, even going flat, while its cold, doesn’t need much to get the flow going and it keeps the aged tongue feel… Know what I mean? Sneezles61

Ok I am getting closer to the exciting day of kegging for the first time. I think I am all set for equipment and the process except for one thing…
After racking to the keg, purging with co2 etc, should i put the keg in my freezer ( temp controller attached) and get the beer cold before attaching the 12-15 lb of co2 to carbonate? My plan is to hopefully have it ready to drink approx 8 days after hitting the keg.

Or should I just attach the gas right away and put everything in the freezer and just keep the pressure at my desired carb level ( as per beer type, temperature etc.) while the beer cools?

Still have a couple of weeks to go for the secondary. I was going to secondary in the keg but decided not to as I also need to dry hop it a week before kegging. I was not confident enough to dry hop in the keg. I’ll get there…

Thank you for any advice !

Tom

Yep.

1 Like

Thanks!

There are multiple ways to force carb beer. Personally I set regulator at 30 psi when I first put the kegs in the kegerator. I leave it there for 24 hours then drop to 20 psi for 3-4 days. Then I start checking it for carb. Serving pressure on my system is about 8 psi. You can also just simply set it to your serving pressure and let it carb more slowly. I believe this typically takes about 2 weeks but as I’ve never had the patience to wait that long, someone who uses that method would have to confirm. I doubt very much that you would be ready to drink in 8 days just set at serving pressure.

:beers:
Rad

Yeah, 8 days with "set it and forget it " usually is still a bit early. Beyond 2 weeks with my system gets into the sweet spot with carbonation.

Do go to a kitchen supply place, get the stainless steel tea ball… Even if its your first time, fill about 1/2 full, through it in the keg… Sneezles61

But measure the keg opening, first. I have a couple of tea balls that won’t fit in my keg.

1 Like

Oh nuts…:disappointed: Sneezles61

No don’t dry hop with…never mind…

Sorry I kinda skimmed over the 8 day serving target. For that I’d follow a carbonation schedule like @radagast’s. You have to check it frequently though. Don’t over carb it.

It will still be at it’s best after 2-3 weeks on gas.

I keep my regs 10-12 for most beers but my lines are 9’ long. It will take a little time but you’ll find the right balance for your system.

1 Like

^^^^ stainless steel balls? Sneezles61

I use a stainless mesh sleeve.

Yeah, I now recall you getting one of those… Better than the balls? I’m curious… Sneezles61

Crazy, I wasn’t too impressed with my IPA, of recent… threw 2 balls of US Fuggles into a half keg… Why? Because I had some I needed to use… Not bad at all… almost an Americanized ESB… Sneezles61

I never had tea balls. I used paint strainer bags. I like the mesh sleeve and actually bought a second one, both the large size. I deon’t have the hanger lids. I just drop them in and leave them until the keg kicks.

2 Likes

I’ve had luck lately of hooking the keg up to 30 psi and shaking the crap out of it until it quits taking. I disconnect and let it sit at least 24 hours. I then hook it back up at serving pressure and let it ride. Been able to drink them in a couple of days.

One thing I’ve noticed though is that even at 8 days the beer will still be “green” IMHO. I noticed that my IPAs are really “in your face” that fresh and even though they’re a hop show, they seem one dimensional. Over time the flavors come together to give me the whole show. I kegged a 51K variation that I dry hopped like Off the Topper. At first it made you cringe but about half way through the keg, it became in my newbile :wink: opinion, a VERY good beer that I’ll describe as “lucious”. :sweat_drops: LOL
Lesson learned for me is to get enough in the pipeline so they can age a little. Right now I have four kegs on gas three of which are green yet. Might be enough.

2 Likes

You are getting it!.. Give them some time and there is a transformation… Sneezles61

1 Like