Ban vs Delete

Admin’s and Mod’s,

I was wondering if going forward, if a user is found to be in violation of the boards Terms of Use, we ban them rather than delete them? I have recently had a user who was deleted and wrote to us wanting to know why he couldn’t log in. Deleting allows you to get rid of a user without adding a reason. Banning has a field that you can supply what their infraction was. Also, banning allows us to reinstate their privledges if need be.

Thank you all for your due diligence and keep fighting the good fight. We appreciate all that contribute to the Northern Brewer forums.

I have always used the “Ban” option. I was under the assumption that if you “Delete” a user, then all of his posts would delete and the threads might not make sense.

rsodman,

I see that you banned user Thewayne I believe by banning his IP address. The user name and E-Mail address have not been banned. So most probably when he attempts to log in again he will be successful. Additionally, his spam post is still on the forum.

Just a heads up.

I’m leaving the users post in place so that you can see it.

P-J

I used to mostly ban, but then like PJ states, you need to also ban the email and IP address and delete the users posts.
Under the advice of the admins, I started using the delete function more. It’s all gone in one click, but there is no record of that user.

From time to time, I will go through the list to see new members and view what’s in their signature or website to catch spammers before they can post to the forum. Go through that list sometime and see how long it takes you to sit there to ban username, IP and emails. It takes a lot of time!