Anyone try the new Tilt Bluetooth hydrometer?

I dont believe you do get rid of the uncalibrated reading. — I think it would just be better to call it the “raw” reading. So that’s just the number coming off the sensor, it then gets adjusted according to the table of “known” readings that were entered into the app.

So with my glass hydrometer, i always took reading and temperature then a formula says what the REAL gravity would be at 60ºF. I think it’s the same.

1 Like

I cannot seem to start a second google sheets document. My first run I had no problem but I don’t know how to restart.

It’s supposed to start a new sheet when you change the beer name.

1 Like

I saw that too… I suppose each time you brew a certain one, you must have to put what batch number it is to keep it straight… Maybe? Sneezles61

My tilt has the temp at 69*… My thermapen says the area right next to it at 64*… Not saying I’ve verified they are equal yet… Sneezles61

Did I tell you about the time that I went to Radio Shack and every thermometer in the display case displayed a different temperature +/- 10 degrees F?

1 Like

Mine still jumps all over the place, a lot less now but a lot earlier in fermentation. My guess is, the CO2 and the krausen all made the hydrometer sit at weird or different angles. I’ve obviously ignored all readings in the 1.18 range, but I’d say 45% of the readings were at this level, which makes the graph really messed up.

What’s even weirder is that every time the SG showed a reading of 1.18, it also read a slightly higher temperature. Whenever the readings were in the proper SG range, the temperature read around 64-65… But when I got the erroneous SG readings the temperature read about 72. Not a huge deal and had a pleasant overall experience with the device, but I really wish I was able to save the graph without it looking like a crazy crayon drawing made by a little kid.

1 Like

If you get a raspberry pi you can get constant data rather then sporadic. Then you graph will be smoother. Temperature does affect gravity as it changes viscosity.

Yea but I mean it was reading 1.18 SG… That’s obviously not true. And an 8 degree swing in temperature is definitely not happening either. One way or another, my tilt randomly “made up” temperatures and gravity readings almost half the time.

If I single those weird readings out and remove them, it makes a very normal looking graph. But as it stands, it’s a mess. Oh well, still a great tool and maybe it will be different next time.

Mine is not so erratic. By any chance are you suffering by recent earthquakes or near some fracking?

1 Like

Haha no. I live in rhode island, everything has been steady and safe.

Another odd thing…my beer was brewed 13 days ago, the tilt was holding steady at 1.016 for 2 days. Was going to move to secondary today, but this morning it dipped to 1.013.

seems like a long time to keep fermenting. I wonder if the tilt was stuck for a bit

Following this thread makes me happy I decided not to splurge on the tilt. Doesn’t sound like it’s very reliable or at the least stable. That would drive me nuts.

In all honesty I think I just need to adjust my expectations. It’s a floating device. Thick krausen, agressive bubbling, getting the device stuck up against a wall… It’s all explainable

1 Like

Oh yea I agree completely. Would still annoy me. haha

I guess I got lucky, mine seems to work really well. I have compared the FG reading to a hydrometer and is always pretty much in agreement. I like it mostly for Checking my fermentation temp.

Mine is not erratic either.

I’m doing apple cider right now, it seems fine… It always wants to share my info… I slide that message up and it seems to not do it… I’m good with it! Sneezles61

I just take a picture of my screen with the chart loaded then share that picture with all of y’all

Mine seems pretty stable.
Here’s my latest batch