Anyone try the new Tilt Bluetooth hydrometer?

Alright, I guess that could be a nifty gadget to add to my brewing gizmo’s… I am curious as to how it measures the gravity? Must sense its elevation in the brew? Sneezles61

Good question, I am not sure how it does it. I did notice a few “bouncy” readings during peak fermentation so you may be right about the method. The case is clear and the electronics all visible, but I am not sure if it is using some type of sensor to act like a refractomter.

1 Like

I’m using mine for the first time too. I too experienced the bouncing during active fermentation. I like how I can tell when it’s getting close to terminal gravity.

1 Like

I believe that the angle (tilt) of the unit determines the gravity of the wort. I watched a You Tube video where the guy admits to leaving the hydrometer in it’s protective capsule. This resulted in the hydrometer being near horizontal. Not surprisingly his gravity readings were WAY off.

This hydrometer, while not a necessity, is definitely a very-nice-to-have. Because I bottle I need to ensure fermentation is complete. However I don’t want to lose the volume of beer necessary for multiple hydrometer samples; plus there’s the infection risk. So, I just primary for 4 weeks and bottle. This device would be the best of both worlds. I would know exactly when fermentation was complete without any loss of beer. Having said all that…$135 is a little out of my price range. Hopefully the price will drop.

They have a 20% off sale about every month that’s what I waited for. It helped a bit.

2 Likes

Any new updates on this?? Somehow I missed this thread awhile back. Did they come out with a new V2? Looks super cool but a little expensive. Still working well?

Working well for me. SG readings seem to be pretty tight to my Hydrometers within .001 or so when I check. I think I have done 3 or 4 batches with it so far.

Nice it looks neat. Would be nice to not have to open fermentor. Is this small enough to fit into a carboy neck or would it be a pain getting it out?

It will fit in the carboy I believe (I use a SS brewtech Brewbucket), but never tried it in the carboy. It would come out pretty easy after you rack the beer, just tip it and it would slide right out I think.

Trying it out for the first time

I love mine. Wish I had 2 as I have a batch in the fermenter now and right now brewing another ordinary bitter…
But I don’t often have two batches fermenting at the same time.

1 Like

I just did my fist batch with the Tilt. The monitoring alone is cool enough, but add a raspberry pi, running Tilt Pi, and it will log your data to Google Sheets.
This batch started at 1.045, but it took me a couple days to get the Pi configured.

I’m also pretty pleased with my temperature control :smiley:

i need more info

I thought they looked pretty cool but 99% of the time I have two fermenters going so I’d need two tilts. Couldn’t justify the $.

Now, seeing that graph, I have gizmo envy…

1 Like

Tilt Pi

You basically need a Bluetooth equipped Raspberry Pi. (3 or zero W)
You copy their software to a micro SD, then run a script on the card to enter your WiFi info, and gmail email.
Put the card in the Pi, and plug it in.

Their stuff sends you an email with additional details. They have a spreadsheet template that does all the graphing. When you name your beer you get a fresh copy of the template. The Tilt Pi software just adds a new row to the sheet every 15 minutes. You can also access the Pi over WiFi, not just Bluetooth.

Form there it’s just looking at google sheets.

So cool.
I have to read on how to get rid of the “uncalibrated” label I am seeing.

Swimming with some whiskey chips

For the record this data is from a secondary blood orange addition to a Brett mix fermentation. The tilt cliched a bit when I got a bit rough with the fermenter and was at .999 for a few minutes then righted itself. The chart comes from a google doc sheet that my phone uploads to. You can turn that off if it’s annoying.

1 Like

Aaah, you got the chart connected via phone! The raspberry Pi thing I mentioned basically runs the same app. With it, you don’t have to keep the app open and your phone in range. Plus you can see the display on your browser.

2 Likes

There is a Tilt Promo going on at NB right now. Free Yeast with your Tilt Purchase.

1 Like