Adding yeast nutrient to primary

Just brewed my first 1.105 OG beer and was wondering if there would be any positives or negatives by adding some yeast nutrient into primary?

Sure, it’s not a bad idea. Might not be necessary, but it won’t hurt. It’s commonly used by mead makers, called Staggered Nutrient Additions. The high alcohol environment is pretty harsh on the yeast, so it’ll help keep them active. Which strain did you use?

WLP007 with a two step 2000ml starter on a stir plate. Used a 1/4 tspn of fermaid K in the starter and about 2 grams into the last 5 of the boil. Also used a servomices pill at 5 minutes

I was looking at this topic on my last brewday…info is all over the board on this , and as @porkchop asked, which brand plays a role in what the stuff is actually made of…Zinc seems to be one of the potentially important factors (some, not all) yeast nutrients can provide. I bought Fermax yeast nutrient as that was what my LHBS had, and it seems more commonly used with wine than beer, and it appears I was woefully underdosing it; they recommend 1 teaspoon per gallon of boiling wort, added at about 10 minutes of boil.
Most opine, can’t hurt anything but might not be strictly necessary for the main batch…Most agree it is useful for starters.

I believe you had a question about adding yeast nutrient to the primary fermenter? I believe most additions mentioned were during the boil, likely to limit chance of infection. However there is precedent as Porkchop says. Personally I have never added it after the boil.

I just used WLP007/WY1098 in a big 1107 RIS, no nutrients added past the starter. Finished right on the money at 1028, but mostly due to a very high mash temp. You might be pushing the limits of that yeast, depending on your degree of attenuation. If you sized your starter correctly, it should be fine. I’d probably try to warm it up just as fermentation starts to slow, but assuming you had the right size starter, you probably won’t need to add nutrients. But it won’t hurt.

I pitched the yeast on Monday and it’s been sitting at 65DF since. It’s still bubbling good. I’ll take a gravity reading tomorrow and see where it’s at. If I raised the temp, how much do you think… assuming that’s a simple question to answer without a million other variables :grin:

1 Like

I like to just bump it up to around 70-72F. I don’t bother with precise temp control, so for me that’s just moving it to a warmer room or near a heat register this time of year. It’s probably nearly done, the Whitbread strain seems to only need a few days to finish active fermentation. The bump in temperature will help clean up any by-products as the yeast start to settle out.

1 Like

It’s pretty harsh on my head in the morning too. :grimacing:

1 Like