Adding lemongrass to ale

Hello all! This week I had a lemongrass saison at a local craft brewery. It was amazing. I really enjoyed the heavy lemongrass flavor. I’d love to try to incorporate lemongrass into my next extract batch. Has anyone tried this before? If so,

What type of kit/beer did you brew?
How much lemongrass did you add?
At what point in the recipe did you add it?

I would love to try a saison myself, but I would have issues with the higher temps required for fermentation.

Any and all input is helpful!

Me do add about four stalks of lemon grass about 10 min before end of boil. Sorachi ace. And manderin hops. Go well together. With lemon grass

1 Like

Tell us what yer actual air temp is… in yer home… Saison yeast aren’t afraid of heat/warm air temps…
Sneezles61

House is usually between 65-70 degrees. I always thought that saisons liked it around 75-80 to ferment?

I bet, you keep it at 70f… the yeast will heat it up at least another 5f… so you’ll be in the right temp range…
My Say-Son fermented up over 80f when the ambient room temp was 70f…
Sneezles61

1 Like

Maybe too late to the game on the question for the OP but the lemon grass it lemony to its core. I recommend you split the stalks in twain lengthwise to get as much flavor as possible out of them. Just throwing the stalks in without cutting them would be like putting a lemon in a glass without cutting it.

1 Like

But this is comon sense or not. Prepare everything. Before you toss it into your kettle. In this case cutting and washing your lemon stocks. I do use fresh lemon grass. But has lots of sand inbetween

lemon grass is not common up north. you couldn’t even find it in the stores 10 years ago

Closest thing like that up here is onion grass… Oh wait… thats Chives… I’m not seeing anything like that up here… Then, I’m very afraid to get out of my comfortable little box… :sunglasses:
Sneezles61

Its readily available in the garden centers here in the spring as an annual. Ive grown some in containers. What does grow up north like mad is lemon balm which ive been contemplating using in something. Maybe a cordial. Lemon balm has health benefits

1 Like

I Googled it and the pictures looked like mint to me. Sure enough it is in the mint family. I remember as a kid spearmint grew all around the neighborhood. You didn’t need to see it to find it because you could smell it. We used to chew the leaves. I guess we all had good breath.

Good read about lemon balm here LEMON BALM: Overview, Uses, Side Effects, Precautions, Interactions, Dosing and Reviews

2 Likes

My dad paved part of his driveway with a permeable lattice-like pavers and planet lemon thyme in all the holes. When you park on it after a day at work you are greeted with the lemony scent of the tire crushed herbs

1 Like

Now I know where yer “crafty” side comes from… That sounds like a very clever way to help forgit what was happening during the day…
Sneezles61

I do get it from a indonesian rest she grows it in her garden