Adding Gelatin to the Bottling Bucket

Hello Everyone,

It seems as though adding gelatin to a keg is a fairly common method that is used to clarify beer. Has anyone tried adding gelatin to the bottling bucket at bottling time (as opposed to the primary or secondary vessels), along with priming sugar? I’m wondering if the gelatin would help clear the beer as it chills in the bottle, maybe even helping to cement the yeast & gunk that falls out of suspension to the bottom of the bottle.

Following that same line of thought, would the gelatin also pull the priming sugar out of suspension, preventing or inhibiting carbonation? My guess would be that if the bottles were kept warm until carbonation was completed, the gelatin would only start to work its magic once the bottles were placed in the fridge to cool.

I’ve done it before and works great. You’ll have no problems.

I let the gelatin bloom, add the priming sugar to that mixture stir and bring to just a boil in the microwave, pour in to the bottling bucket and rack on top. It’s worked great for me several times.

Please expand on this practice. Do you use gelatin finings or regular household gelatin from the grocery? How much (quantity) per 5 gallon batch?

I’ve always used Knox unflavored gelatin from the store. About 1/2 package mixed into a pint of water for 15 minutes or so at room temperature, then heated to 170 or so (not boiling). I then pour this into a secondary carboy and rack the beer on top. This would then go into the refrigerator for 3-5 days to clear the beer. Then bring the beer back to room temp and bottle as usual. This routine has yielded good results for me and, as I have read, many others.

In an effort to save a transfer, I was thinking of just adding the gelatin to the bottling bucket, but I imagine this could also be done in addition to the previous gel addition to really polish things up.

That’s one of the problems/joys of this hobby, there is always another way to do something!

I use a full envelope of Knox gelatin. In a two cup glass measuring cup I add one to one and a quarter cup of room temp or slightly warmer water. If it’s too warm it will “skin” on top. After ten-fifteen minutes I stir it and then add my priming sugar. After mixing I put it in the microwave, watch closely till it just starts to boil.

After that it goes in the bottling bucket and I rack on top. Give it a stir just before I bottle. I also use this same process for kegging. It’s worked perfect for the last year and a half.

So I know this is a dead old post, but if you’re still around, I have some questions @bakerman

After you bottle, do you cold crash or do you allow to carb and then chill? For how long? What does the sediment look like? And is it easily disturbed?

I have a brew I tried gelatin on for the first time and, right now, there are floaties in the bottles. It’s been about a week and a half of conditioning and I’m wondering if I screwed up somehow, or if they will settle out in more time or as I chill them.

Time will tell, but based on your experience, I’m interested to know more. Thanks!

Really flipping old… Cold crash is best done after fermentation is done, either in the primary fermenter, or the secondary… Gelatin can be done right after you cold crash to help clear out more sediment… leave it cold and let it sit for at least 3 days… quietly rack to the bottling bucket… Sneezles61

Ha, yeah I know how old it is, but Bakerman was specifically talking about successful experiences with adding gelatin at bottling which is a difficult topic to find discussions on. I realize it’s different from the standard gelatin fining procedure/advice, but I was hoping to find out what made these experiences successful.

A ceramic mug… Sneezles61