ABV calulation

Hi guys. I need someone’s help, who’s good in math. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: I’m about to brew a stout ( 4 gallons ) that starts out at 3.7% ABV. I’m looking for a prominent molasses flavor. I don’t think I want to go over 5% ABV. If I wanted to add some dark dry malt and molasses, how much of each do you think I should add to get the flavor and ABV % I’m looking for ? I think I’m going to prime with corn sugar. Thanks.

Do a mini-mash in a separate pot… Steep your malt for conversion.158*F… half pound to a gallon, steeping for 45 minutes… remove the spent malt… Then add your molasses… It may vary on sugar content and flavor… But start with a pound… taste it… measure its gravity… Maybe you’ll settle about 1.025… cool… add to yer base wort… taste some more… measure gravity…
Its just a crap shoot… but you’ll get the idea…
Sneezles61

Mash? He’s talking about DME. Add 3/4 lb DME and you’ll get to 4.7abv about. Just in head maybe .5 lb dark DME and 8oz molasses. I’ll do the exact math later if nobody else chimes in

Thanks brew_cat. I was thinking 1 lb DME and 8oz molasses. So, I wasn’t too far off, but I wasn’t sure what abv that would give me.

Well, its a good thing we wasn’t talking a 10 gallon batch… I might have been off a little more… :sunglasses:
Sneezles61

There are brewing calculators like this Beer Recipe Calculator | Brewer's Friend that are very helpful when trying to work out stuff like this.

One problem when trying to keep the ABV low and the flavor from any sugar like molasses is that sugar ferments out almost completely so the more you add the higher your gravity gets.

This is true it will be dryer. Use black strap molasses for a stronger flavor. Assuming your recipe calls for some steeping grains you may want to add a bit more to balance out the dryness. Have you made this beer before? Maybe post the recipe.

I haven’t made too many batches in my time. I try to keep it pretty simple. All I’m using is 2 cans of the St. Patrick’s Day Stout. I’m just trying to improve on it a little bit, to suit my taste. I don’t really want to use the booster that’s included with it. I was going to use dry malt, molasses and lactose to try and get the taste and body I’m looking for. I know it’s an experiment. I just didn’t want to go too high on abv.

1 Like

Well by cans do you mean pre hoped LME? Have you brewed it before and not liked it? Most people recommend brewing it as is once for a baseline. I don’t know whats in the all in one extract since i don’t have experience with it but i assume it has hops and roasted malt in it. If your going to add more fermentable material i would definitely steep some roasted barley or chocolate malt or both. As far as hops you may want to add a little more to keep the ratio the same.

Yes, it is supposed to have the necessary hops and malts already in it. The booster pack is supposed to bring it up to 5% abv. I’ve made it that way before, and also by adding dry malt and molasses. Both were ok. I can’t remember how much of each I added to the batch last time. I don’t have any experience as far as steeping with grain in muslin sacks. I just try to make a economical brew that tastes good. I guess I’m a bit of a penny pincher. :stuck_out_tongue:

Mayby. Get a separate kettle where you mash the muslinbag once done. Add to main boil kettle. Mean while you work with your lme. From there take few gravity test. And adjust. On the fly. Your og once you do add the specialty grains. Basically you work with a full boil volume than you calculate your ending fg. Og-fg x 131= abv

2 Likes

The easiest thing is get your brew water yo 180°f then steep your crushed grains for 15 minutes then pull and continue your brew. I buy the 1gallon paint strainer bags from home depot and use those

1 Like

Thanks for all your replies guys. Hopefully I’ll come up with a drinkable pint. :wink: