2012 Gardens

I have to build a tomato super structure for mine. Tomato cages with fence posts drove next to them and all connected together with platic clothes line. Some of tomato plants are already 5 1/2ft tall. :shock: Can’t even imagine how big they will be by the end of season. Plus, I’m already harvesting pepperes and yellow squash.
[attachment=1]2012-05-24_14-39-06_345-re.jpg[/attachment]

Nice!

wow, crazy!..my squash are either just planted or at cotyledon stage! :roll:

I am eating strawberries by the mouthful however. 8)

Tomato plants are loving the rain. Some of them are already taller than I am.
Thats me camouflaged behind a tomato plant. :lol:
[attachment=0]IMAG0119-re.jpg[/attachment]

I have such garden envy it’s not even funny…

We are in like day 4 of a forecasted 10 days of rain…just what my transplants need…(kinda sarcasm)…rain is always good for them, but man, these puppies need them some sun…

[quote=“n8young”]I have such garden envy it’s not even funny…

We are in like day 4 of a forecasted 10 days of rain…just what my transplants need…(kinda sarcasm)…rain is always good for them, but man, these puppies need them some sun…[/quote]
Hope your tomatoes are finally getting some much needed sun. We could actually use a bit more rain we are starting to get behind for the year.
I think my tomato plants are at the peak of their growth cycle. I now have some plants that are over 6 1/2ft tall and 5 1/2ft wide. I have already picked a few ripe tomatoes and the cherry tomatoes are really starting to ripen. Should be picking heavy within a couple of weeks.
Here is the latest pic, had to hold my hands up for this one. :wink:
[attachment=0]2012-06-09_15-58-11_9-re.jpg[/attachment]

[quote=“Baratone Brewer”][quote=“n8young”]I have such garden envy it’s not even funny…

We are in like day 4 of a forecasted 10 days of rain…just what my transplants need…(kinda sarcasm)…rain is always good for them, but man, these puppies need them some sun…[/quote]
Hope your tomatoes are finally getting some much needed sun. We could actually use a bit more rain we are starting to get behind for the year.
I think my tomato plants are at the peak of their growth cycle. I now have some plants that are over 6 1/2ft tall and 5 1/2ft wide. I have already picked a few ripe tomatoes and the cherry tomatoes are really starting to ripen. Should be picking heavy within a couple of weeks.
Here is the latest pic, had to hold my hands up for this one. :wink:
[attachment=0]2012-06-09_15-58-11_9-re.jpg[/attachment][/quote]

They are getting sun now, and the plants are between two and three feet tall…and starting to flower…we usually don’t get ripe tomatoes until around August, if memory serves me…

On a side note, hops plants are all around 7 ft tall now. My trellis height tops out around 8 feet, so that’s exciting that they are basically at the top.

Picked this yesterday from my garden.
[attachment=0]2012-06-23_17-46-53_874-re.jpg[/attachment]

Nice harvest! We have pulled much of our spring greens, beets, etc. Tomatoes, Pole Beans, Egg plant, & Peppers are looking great and will be ready soon.

My wife spent yesterday evening making pickles. Can’t wait to start canning homemade salsa! :mrgreen:

May I ask what the recipe is. I’ve been struggling with limp pickles. How do keep them nice and crisp? I’ve been thinking of the pickling lime, would that help?

I’ll have to check on the recipe. But, I know her secret to keeping them crisp is picking early in the morning before the sun has a chance to shine on the cucumbers. Then they imediately go into an ice bath for an hour. She also uses a product called pickle crisp.

Nice harvest Baratone. I had my whole family here this past weekend for my son’s first birthday party, and they were all amazed at the amount of tomatoes I had. However, over half of them are splitting and I have been diligent with my watering. I notice that you picked some while they were still pretty green. Is that something that I should think of doing in order to keep them from splitting.

Well see how they fare this week; going to be around 104 to 106 all week.

[quote=“threeabuck”]I notice that you picked some while they were still pretty green. Is that something that I should think of doing in order to keep them from splitting.

Well see how they fare this week; going to be around 104 to 106 all week.[/quote]
Works for me. When temps hover around the 100F mark (we have been for almost a week now)I start to pick when they first start to ripen. The heat will crack a completely ripe tomato, but if you pick them while they are just starting to ripen and allow them to ripen slowly indoors they will not crack. I have also found that they keep a lot longer this way. Which is nice, since I have harvested 82 tomatoes in the past 4 days off of my 9 plants. :roll:

Some varieties are also more crack resistant than others. Not sure what variety you are growing but alot of the heirlooms have cracking issues.

Thanks Baratone - and you are correct about the heirloom: that is where most of my big splitting is occurring.

just an update on my garden…planted 16 tomato plants…13 of them are on my drip irrigation lines, the other 3 are not…8 have the red plastic mulch layed down under them…I am amazed at the difference the red plastic mulch is making between all of my plants…the ones with the mulch, the stalks on the plants are about an inch thick, and the plants are growing tall and bushy…it’s amazing…I am just now starting to get small tomatoes growing on the plants.

Baratone…have you tried the plastic mulch with any other plants…peppers come to mind as being good plants to try it with.

Anyway, thanks for posting your pics, so I could see what you were using, I think it’s going to make all the difference this year for me…nect year all my tomato plants will get the red plastic mulch treatment. I think it’s the way to go.

Happy Growing.

Glad to hear that the red plastic mulch is working for you. I have several buddies that have ran the same test and are very pleased with the results as well. So far my eggplants, peppers, and tomatoes all do very well with the red plastic.
Interestingly enough though, I have seen recommendations suggesting that peppers and potatoes respond best to metallic silver plastic. And cucumbers, summer squash, cantelopes, and watermelons respond best to dark blue plastic.

[quote=“Baratone Brewer”]Picked this yesterday from my garden.
[attachment=0]2012-06-23_17-46-53_874-re.jpg[/attachment][/quote]

Holy S**t 0_0

A couple of giants that I picked.
[attachment=1]2012-06-28_19-30-47_687-re.jpg[/attachment]
[attachment=0]2012-06-28_19-31-26_119-re.jpg[/attachment]

You have freakishly small hands or freakishly large produce.

Right now my cukes are only about 2" and I don’t have any tomatoes on the vine yet, just flowers everywhere.