2012 Gardens

Do you evenutally use a dripper watering sysytem for all of those pots or just watering by hand?

I hand feed with AACT but I have a hose with a breaker head just for everyday watering

Tomatoes are really taking off and have lots of blooms. Its actually beginning to look like a garden.
[attachment=0]Garden 05-04-12.jpg[/attachment]

Hello-we have a little raised garden that I’ve been working on for a couple of years. Already getting more tomatoes/buds than we had last year.

What about spiders in the garden-are they good/bad? Do they deter some of the pollinating bugs?

Common spiders are good for your garden. They don’t eat plants and will do their part to control pests.

[quote=“Baratone Brewer”]Tomatoes are really taking off and have lots of blooms. Its actually beginning to look like a garden.
[attachment=0]Garden 05-04-12.jpg[/attachment][/quote]

What type of pests do you get in your garden that made you put the big fence up? I’ve got something chewing the tops off my leeks…

Its keeps the dogs out and gives me a place to train vines.
I try to utilize every inch of my garden space and its a great place to grow vining plants. This year I will be training spaghetti squash and Chinese okra to grow on it. I also have my hop beds along the back of my garden and have trained some of the extra bines to grow on the fence.

An bug folks here? I found this this weekend while in the garden…

Anybody know what it will be?

How about this one?

There is lots of life in my garden. I think the earwigs are eating lettuce as soon as it comes up. :roll:

Starting to see a few squash and tomatoes coming on.
[attachment=1]2012-05-09_-re.jpg[/attachment]

[quote=“Baratone Brewer”]Starting to see a few squash and tomatoes coming on.
[attachment=1]2012-05-09_-re.jpg[/attachment][/quote]

so jealous…I have only been able to plant peas, potatoes, swiss chard, turnips, carrots…peas are 2 inches high, chard and turnips are just sprouting through the soil…

Seem to have a decision to make. Have a rabbit that enjoys eating my green bean starts, have a wife that doesn’t want rabbit to DIE. Sorry, a little pissed at Mr. rabbit. :roll:

Anyways, I’ve tried a trap to no avail. Switched to a spray (Liquid Fence) and going to give it a try for a bit. But if it doesn’t work, the wife will have to deal with one dead rabbit…

[quote=“Baratone Brewer”]Seem to have a decision to make. Have a rabbit that enjoys eating my green bean starts, have a wife that doesn’t want rabbit to DIE. Sorry, a little pissed at Mr. rabbit. :roll:

Anyways, I’ve tried a trap to no avail. Switched to a spray (Liquid Fence) and going to give it a try for a bit. But if it doesn’t work, the wife will have to deal with one dead rabbit…[/quote]

You seem like a smart man, I assume smart enough to know that unfortunately your problem isn’t going to be only one rabbit. Where there’s one, there are many more. “F&^k like rabbits”… Damn things usually live in packs of thousands…ravaging Missouran gardens like wildfire…lol…I kid…but I would guess you got at least half a dozen rabbits if you’ve seen one. Probably some cute little baby guys too!!!

I am having the same issue with rabbitts and squirrels. It seems like the population has just exploded over the last three years. My neighbor and I have discussed having a hunt (followed by a cook out). This would be after thinning out the critters and the critters would be the cook out… My wife is also not a big fan of the idea, but we lost every one of our strawberries last year and 2/3 of our corn. She is beginning to warm to the idea…

Yeah, if the problem persists, the guns are coming out.

on a side note…I just bought my timer for my irrigation…now I just need to go pick up the soaker hose and install. Sounds like a project for this weekend. Yaaay

Hello Everyone - could a rabbit be the culprit of my problem: I came outside the other day to find my jalepeno plants eaten off at the stem about halfway up. The next day they were eaten off at the base. Then today I noticed some clusters of my cherry tomatoes (my biggest ones) and some other tomatoes gone as well.

I know my dog wouldn’t eat any of it, but I wouldn’t put it past her to not notice a small furry creature in the backyard with her. Would a bug be possible? I would think it might be something else since whatever it is left the rest of the tomato plants alone - It is like the tomatoes were picked off, and the whole pepper plant was missing.

A rabbit will eat young pepper plants and birds will damage the plants as well. Some issues might be caused by cutworms. And Squirrels love to steal green tomatoes.

[quote=“threeabuck”]Hello Everyone - could a rabbit be the culprit of my problem: I came outside the other day to find my jalepeno plants eaten off at the stem about halfway up. The next day they were eaten off at the base. Then today I noticed some clusters of my cherry tomatoes (my biggest ones) and some other tomatoes gone as well.

I know my dog wouldn’t eat any of it, but I wouldn’t put it past her to not notice a small furry creature in the backyard with her. Would a bug be possible? I would think it might be something else since whatever it is left the rest of the tomato plants alone - It is like the tomatoes were picked off, and the whole pepper plant was missing.[/quote]

Any chance you own a cat? There are herbs you can plant in your garden that your cat would enjoy…not that you really want to encourage the cat to hang out in the garden, what with the digging and pooping, but maybe if you have one, they will be a bit of a better defender. My cats go after anything that moves in our yard. Just a thought…You could always put up a small chicken wire fence to deter pests…

Thanks. It is definitely a rabbit-I went out this morning to find one of the larger tomatoes had some pretty definitive rabbit teeth marks. I’ll have to put some fence up.

Just got a bunch of my tomatoes in the ground two days ago. Built a tomato trellis this year. I am stringing lines down from 6 feet up, and bought these

tomato clips to train them up the line…I saw them doing it last year at a farm coop in Vermont, and the plants looked so beautiful not all caged in, and made it easier for the plants to grow “up”… I’ll get some pictures up once my plants start growing a bit more. I also bought the red plastic tomato mulch, and have purchased my timer for my drip irrigation I bought and installed just this past weekend. I am hoping these changes, and the use of manure in my soil will make a noticeable difference from my dismal results I got last year.