Your must-have equipment

its funny I went backwards. I built a tun before I even brewed any beer. I have 6 pots 5 burners 2 tuns about 6 thermometers two chillers etc . I have at least two of everything. Now that I know how to brew with all that stuff im going backwards to one pot one burner brewing. simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. the one thing I wouldn’t give up is at least 2 of my kegs and my tap setup. Oh and my basement pub/brew room.

1 Like

I’m kind of in the same boat. I had plans to make a fancy HERMS set-up with brew stand, but the more I brewed the less I liked setting up gear and cleaning it afterwords. Ended up with a standard 3-vessel tun and kettle set-up. I tried BIAB, but it was more of a hassle for me to deal with the grain bag, and I can mash in my kitchen and (mostly) have contained messes. The immersion heater is really nice, because I can put it in the strike water, set the temp, and it’ll beep when it’s at the right temperature. Don’t have to constantly check the pot waiting for it to get to 163F, just makes it easier for me. Everything I put on my list makes it just a little easier or less frustrating, or provides a needed function that I can’t get otherwise.

There are guys that like to geek out on the electric automated set-ups, and I don’t have any problem with that. Same thing with fermentation chambers, just more gear that you need to store and it doesn’t really fit my needs for what I like to make. But then there’s the folks that want to make world-class clean beers, and it’s absolutely necessary for that - more power to them. Simplicity for me is fermenting upstairs during winter because it’s 62 in the house, and fermenting in the basement in summer because the floor is a constant 60 degrees.

I bought a pump about a year ago thinking I would use it for post boil whirlpools and to alleviate the arthritic pain of stirring for 15 minutes to cool using my immersion chiller.

Great idea in concept. I used it once and found it way more of a hassle than I thought it would be. It’s since been sitting in my garage collecting dust. Worst purchase I’ve made to date. I have no plans to ever do 10+ gallon batches so it will most likely get sold.

First on my list is, my temperature controlled, freezer for fermentation. Is my must have. Before, my beers always got a polite, “Wow, that’s not bad.” After the reactions went to, “Oh Man, This is awesome, can I bring some home?”

Second on the list is the BIAB, bag. It opened the door to AG brewing for me, and broke my dependence on Recipe Kits.

1 Like