Yeast rehydration experiment

[quote=“Old_Dawg”]I’ve not checked every dry yeast on the market, but all the product data sheets I’ve read - including all the Danstar yeasts - say to rehydrate.
[/quote]

Rehydration instructions for Fermntis US-05

[quote]rehydration instructions
Sprinkle the yeast in minimum 10 times its weight of sterile water or wort at 27°
c ± 3°C (80°F ± 6°F). Leave to rest 15 to 30 minutes. Gently stir for 30 minutes, and pitch the resultant cream into the fermentation vessel.

Alternatively, pitch the yeast directly in the fermentation vessel providing the temperature of the wort is above 20°C (68°F). Progressively sprinkle
the dry yeast into the wort ensuring the yeast covers all the surface of wort available in order to avoid clumps.
Leave for 30 minutes, then mix the
wort using aeration or by wort addition[/quote]

[quote]
Sprinkle the yeast in minimum 10 times its weight of sterile water or wort at 27°
c ± 3°C (80°F ± 6°F). Leave to rest 15 to 30 minutes. Gently stir for 30 minutes, and pitch the resultant cream into the fermentation vessel.

Alternatively, pitch the yeast directly in the fermentation vessel providing the temperature of the wort is above 20°C (68°F). Progressively sprinkle
the dry yeast into the wort ensuring the yeast covers all the surface of wort available in order to avoid clumps.
wort using aeration or by wort addition[/quote][/quote]

Who wants to pitch with wort above 68?

FROM THEIR WEBSITE

http://www.fermentis.com/wp-content/upl ... A_US05.pdf

From How to Brew [quote]Note: Lallemand/Danstar does not recommend proofing after rehydration of their yeast because they have optimized their yeast’s nutritional reserves for quick starting in the main wort. Proofing expends some of those reserves.[/quote]OK so what it says is not to proof the yeast but rehydration is good.

Boy did I get this goofed up :oops: Oh well it still is a fun experiment because no matter how it turns out I will have beer!

BTW as of this morning the activity in both carboys looks identical. Still fermenting strong.

Oh, you’re fine! You’ve only goofed up if the beer tastes bad. If it tastes good, then you’ve done good!!

:cheers:

[quote=“HD4Mark”]From How to Brew [quote]Note: Lallemand/Danstar does not recommend proofing after rehydration of their yeast because they have optimized their yeast’s nutritional reserves for quick starting in the main wort. Proofing expends some of those reserves.[/quote]OK so what it says is not to proof the yeast but rehydration is good.

Boy did I get this goofed up :oops: Oh well it still is a fun experiment because no matter how it turns out I will have beer!

BTW as of this morning the activity in both carboys looks identical. Still fermenting strong.[/quote]

I wouldnt say you screwed it up just made a different expirement from what most would have expected I think, go for another with the 3 different ways

[quote=“grainbelt”][quote]

wort using aeration or by wort addition[/quote][/quote]

Who wants to pitch with wort above 68?

FROM THEIR WEBSITE

http://www.fermentis.com/wp-content/upl ... A_US05.pdf[/quote]

Not saying I agree with it. Just pointing out what they recommend

[quote]

http://www.fermentis.com/wp-content/upl ... A_US05.pdf[/quote]

Not saying I agree with it. Just pointing out what they recommend[/quote]

but its not really what they recommend, just bad alternate directions. I see it as simple directions for new homebrewers that do not have the knowledge yet.

I believe it is a cool experiment and can’t understand why I never conducted it before!

I believe the minute amount of sugar will have little/no effect on the original concept of the experiment, but you shouldn’t of mentioned such a fact here, as the forum will tear you up over anything they can.

With that said, the German Perfectionist in me says to redo the experiment in the future and use only water (not sugar), just to validate this experiment.

Definitely anticipating the final “taste” eval of these beers.