Yeast alternatives for Belgian Wit

I’ve got a wit on tap that I used wb06 in. It’s a dry yeast from fermentis. Not a bad beer.

I think Beerglass had a good idea. Have the friend do a taste testing. It seems to me the OP wasn’t
trying to get expert opinions on how to make a great Wit or Hefe, or make a lot of alterations, He has to come up with something refreshing for his friend. The friend may not be beer knowledgeable, but it sounds like he knows what he doesn’t like. I don’t want to go to war, just my observation.

[quote=“Old Guy”]I think Beerglass had a good idea. Have the friend do a taste testing. It seems to me the OP wasn’t
trying to get expert opinions on how to make a great Wit or Hefe, or make a lot of alterations, He has to come up with something refreshing for his friend. The friend may not be beer knowledgeable, but it sounds like he knows what he doesn’t like. I don’t want to go to war, just my observation.[/quote]

Its kinda become moot since my friends party has been cancelled, but in the interest of science I am still curious if I could change something up a bit for him. He’s actually a pretty knowledgeable beer guy, but he’s also one of those people who absolutely has to find fault in pretty much everything. His all time favorite wit beer is Celis White, back when it was brewed in the Celis Brewery in Austin. I guess a company in Michigan bought the rights to it, but it isn’t available near me and I seriously doubt its the same. So basically he’s comparing my wits to his memory of a beer that hasn’t been available in over a decade. :roll: He considers Hoegarden to be “ok”, but feels like the quality has gone downhill. Personally I think my wits are fine, but maybe his palate really is more sensitive than mine, maybe there’s something that could stand to be improved. Or maybe there’s just no pleasing the dude.

sounds like he’s a hoot to be around :mrgreen:

sounds like it.

FWIW, underpitching is a really risky way to coax flavor out of yeast IME. You risk fusels, poor attenuation, amongst other problems. Pitch plenty of yeast a few degrees under your ferment temp, let it rise, hold it for 3 days, then raise it. If you use the right yeast, you will get great flavor out of the yeast.