Why bother with Lager

Exactly! A smoked beer will never be brewed by me…or hefe or anything with fruit. But I don’t knock those styles…just the people who drink them! :mrgreen:

I believe every style has its place. I’ve really never tasted a style that I didn’t like… well, except maybe for Black IPA. But call it what it is, an American Stout, and… no, I really don’t like that style either. But that’s about it. Oh, and sour Lacto/Brett IPA… that is nasty. But I think that’s all. Most every style holds a place in my heart. There are times when I might enjoy an American light lager more than anything else in the world. Or maybe even a Black IPA. Maybe. So don’t discount a whole category based on personal preference. There are millions of people who love Black IPA. And as long as they’ll admit that they’re wrong, then I can get along with them just fine. :wink:

I’ll be honest… the OP was either a troll post or the poster is ignorant of the various styles of lager. I’m not trying to be an ass to the OP… I want to be clear on that. I don’t know him so maybe he is a new(er) brewer and beer enthusiast who thinks all lagers are pale, fizzy American beers with very little flavor. I agree with everyone who stands up for lagers: They range in color and flavor just as any ale does. They can be tougher to brew and you may need more patience. I make more lagers than I do ales, generally. For warmer weather, I (like Loopie) make “gold lagers” for lack of a better term. Call them American Premium or slightly less hoppy pilsners, helles, etc. A Kolsch (not a lager but can be similar to make) is a delight when it’s made properly and no it’s not an IPA so it does have less flavor than some big beers. There was a post on here a couple years ago by someone who posted the same thing: LAGERS REALLY SUCK SO I’M STICKING TO ALES. Nothing wrong with that if you don’t like any lager style but that’s hard to believe. You know what a great lager is for people who like flavorful beers? Sam Adams Boston Lager. When it’s fresh, it’s delicious. There I said it.

:cheers:

Ken, the OP is not a troll. He was just sharing an honest opinion.

By the way, I totally agree with you on Sam Adams. I love it. I mean, like REALLY LOVE it.

I never knock Sam Adams . Many a young pup on this forum doesn’t remember when Sam first hit some Massachusetts bars it was definitely a revolution like they say. I don’t know what was going on elsewhere but east coast there wasn’t much else except imports. I remember when it was first offered in bottles and when they expanded to CT. It doesn’t seem special now with all that’s out there but there was a time. By the way just sampled there fall mixed pack and enjoyed their harvest saison and believe it of not their pumpkin beer which style I’m not usually a fan of.

Yep!!!.. What the last 3 posts said… :cheers:

Ok, the real reason I brew lagers is: 1) that I really like them, 2) I figure if I can brew them at will then most everything else I brew will be really good, 3) because that is what I like to brew and that is why this is a hobby. Brew what you like and like what you brew!! :cheers:

[quote=“Lovenbeer”]Yep!!!.. What the last 3 posts said… :cheers:

Ok, the real reason I brew lagers is: 1) that I really like them, 2) I figure if I can brew them at will then most everything else I brew will be really good, 3) because that is what I like to brew and that is why this is a hobby. Brew what you like and like what you brew!! :cheers: [/quote]

My lagers got way better when I started holding back 10% of the wort as Krausen beer. I pitch yeast harvested from the main batch into the krausen wort after the main batch fermentation finishes. I add the krausen beer to the main batch 24-48 hours after pitching its yeast.

PS. After years of homebrewing and experimenting, I have decided I like the beers I like. I like lagers, blondes, Kolsch and other lightly hopped beers. I don’t like heavy roasted malt or phenol flavors. I do love SA Boston Lager though!

[quote=“tombigbee”][quote=“Lovenbeer”]Yep!!!.. What the last 3 posts said… :cheers:

Ok, the real reason I brew lagers is: 1) that I really like them, 2) I figure if I can brew them at will then most everything else I brew will be really good, 3) because that is what I like to brew and that is why this is a hobby. Brew what you like and like what you brew!! :cheers: [/quote]

My lagers got way better when I started holding back 10% of the wort as Krausen beer. I pitch yeast harvested from the main batch into the krausen wort after the main batch fermentation finishes. I add the krausen beer to the main batch 24-48 hours after pitching its yeast.

PS. After years of homebrewing and experimenting, I have decided I like the beers I like. I like lagers, blondes, Kolsch and other lightly hopped beers. I don’t like heavy roasted malt or phenol flavors. I do love SA Boston Lager though![/quote]
Same here. I like balanced beers. I have no problem enjoying an IPA or stout when I’m out but I don’t really want 5 gallons of it at home because I won’t drink it very quickly. I’m not a fan of Belgians either. I have tried but I just can’t take the complex, spicy, phenolic, barnyard-like, bubble-gummy character that I get. Blech. I make a lot of pale ales, blondes, red ales and lagers, amber ales and lagers, festbier, helles, Vienna, Czech Lagers, English Pale Ales and ESBs, dark lagers, Mexican-inspired beers, etc. Cheers Peeps!

I’m with Ken on this. Balance is the most important factor in a quality beer for me. I don’t want to be bombarded with flavor so I can’t taste my next beer. I think there’s more of an art to brewing balanced beers rather than just throwing hops at the kettle or vice versa. I’ve had some overly malty sweet beers that are hard to drink as well. This is why I like to brew a lot of German lagers and British Ales. I also really enjoy IPA and black IPA, but don’t brew them as much. Well, I brew my black IPA quite a bit actually, but it’s usually fairly balance between malt and hops. My current batch, however, is waaay too hoppy. Good, but too hoppy.

Yep, that should be a on t-shirt for me. I make a lot of German styles and English beers. If I ever opened a brewery, I’d have to call it Fritz Churchill’s or something! Cheers.

I always thought that the first largers were brewed by the German monks back in the 13 or 14 hundreds as a food supplement because they were so rich in carbs or starches. (correct me if I’m wrong, I’m new to brewing). If all you had to live on was beer wouldn’t a larger be the best one to have on hand?

Lagers were first brewed (intentionally…) in the 1840s, I believe.

[quote=“sunbelt57”]I always thought that the first largers were brewed by the German monks back in the 13 or 14 hundreds as a food supplement because they were so rich in carbs or starches. (correct me if I’m wrong, I’m new to brewing). If all you had to live on was beer wouldn’t a larger be the best one to have on hand?[/quote]I think the liquid bread thing was Belgian monks brewing dubbels and tripels for when they needed to fast. But I really don’t know either.

From my understanding this is correct.
Edit: oops I was thinking dopplebock as MRV pointed out…

I’ve heard dopplebock was the first beer to be approved by the Pope to sustain monks during fasting.

A bit before my time though.

When I drink and don’t eat I get very philosophical. They must of had some great arguments, now I know why the head monk made the silence rule.

+1 to the “HEAD MONK Rule!” I lied!!! I LOVE BMC!!! You pour 2/3 into a glass, then the last 1/3 is SNAPPY TOM!!!
Every year a couple of Pils, then a Bock. It’s hard to perfect the latter as [ to me] it takes 6-9 mos. for the truth test. But that one Bock keeps me trying for perfection year after year. I love all ales even tho Belgians are my thing right now. Maybe if you leave something alone for awhile, it becomes really fun all over again later. Brewing means something diff to all of us, especially all the whole world of styles there are. I’ll tip my brew that I’m holding right now to all of you!! Cheers to ALL!!

You know what ironic about all this???

How many times have you fermented your ale yeast in the cooler range (62-64•) so it throws off less esters and provides a smoother taste/finish? Sound familiar?

[quote=“Loopie Beer”]You know what ironic about all this???

How many times have you fermented your ale yeast in the cooler range (62-64•) so it throws off less esters and provides a smoother taste/finish? Sound familiar?[/quote]

I’m drinking an APA with dinner right now that I fermented with a big (and I mean BIG) dose of 1056 at 60-61 degrees. It’s just as you state–smooth, clean, and a little bit crisp with just enough hop presence (about 28 IBUs of some really nice Polish hops) to balance it out. Hard to beat…
But I still like my lagers…