When to use a yeast starter?

[quote=“grainbelt”][quote=“mattnaik”][quote=“grainbelt”]
Even if your buying at the bigger places, MW, NB, MB etc… 90% of the yeast your getting is probably close to two weeks old or more[/quote]

The last liquid yeast i ordered from NB was the day after they were back in stock of WY1028. The date on it was over 2 months old. Just to solidify this point that even a bigger place is apparently getting “new” stock that is months old.[/quote]

Could be…I wouldn’t say months old but on average I would say 2-4 weeks which drop the viability of yeast significantly.

Just goes without saying basically always make a starter…or make #### ho hum beer[/quote]

Just checked on the beer I pitched with the WL liquid yesterday…not real active yet…so yea…you’re probably right guys…Things usually kick off within a couple hours when I make a starter…new MO…make a starter

[quote]

I live just a couple hours from Wyeast. I often get yeast packs dated a day or two before I buy them. I still make a starter for anything over 1.040.[/quote]

I would do the same, I have received some pretty fresh packs from NB and MW even with shipping since live 15 mintues from both so they can arrive quickly. But i still make a starter

Wow. I’m surprised how many replies my post received. Thanks everyone for sharing your thoughts so far on yeast starters. Good info here!

I have a new yeast starter question…

I decided to make my first starter last night for the brew I’m making this weekend. It will be a modified cream ale and should come out at about 1.052 OG, so perhaps the starter wasn’t necessary, but I wanted to make the starter anyway for the experience. I made a 1L starter using WLP001 last night. Since I won’t be brewing the cream ale until Sunday morning, my plan is to cold crash the starter in the fridge for 2.5 days (Thursday night until Sunday morning) and then decant before I pitch it. Is that okay to have it sitting in the fridge for 2-3 days before I use it? I’m not sure how long it can survive in the fridge. Sounds like most people pitch their starters at high krausen.

Thanks

[quote=“BrewBum”]Wow. I’m surprised how many replies my post received. Thanks everyone for sharing your thoughts so far on yeast starters. Good info here!

I have a new yeast starter question…

I decided to make my first starter last night for the brew I’m making this weekend. It will be a modified cream ale and should come out at about 1.052 OG, so perhaps the starter wasn’t necessary, but I wanted to make the starter anyway for the experience. I made a 1L starter using WLP001 last night. Since I won’t be brewing the cream ale until Sunday morning, my plan is to cold crash the starter in the fridge for 2.5 days (Thursday night until Sunday morning) and then decant before I pitch it. Is that okay to have it sitting in the fridge for 2-3 days before I use it? I’m not sure how long it can survive in the fridge. Sounds like most people pitch their starters at high krausen.

Thanks[/quote]

yes a starter was necessary for this beer, putting it in the fridge is fine just keep it clean and sanitary. You could leave it out to it will probably settle on its own in a couple days

[quote=“grainbelt”]
yes a starter was necessary for this beer, putting it in the fridge is fine just keep it clean and sanitary. You could leave it out to it will probably settle on its own in a couple days[/quote]

Thanks for the advice, grainbelt. I appreciate it. I’ll probably just leave it out if you think I don’t need to cold crash it. It will save room in my fridge.

[quote=“BrewBum”][quote=“grainbelt”]
yes a starter was necessary for this beer, putting it in the fridge is fine just keep it clean and sanitary. You could leave it out to it will probably settle on its own in a couple days[/quote]

Thanks for the advice, grainbelt. I appreciate it. I’ll probably just leave it out if you think I don’t need to cold crash it. It will save room in my fridge.[/quote]

It’s not gonna hurt to cold crash it ans that will give you a better chance of the yeast dropping out so you can decant.

Thanks, Denny. I did end up putting it in the fridge to cold crash. I had the room and I feel better with it out of the way (so the cat doesn’t mess with it), but good to know that cold crashing will help it settle so I can decant before pitching.

Every GOOD beer I’ve made, some OG < 1.040, has been made using a starter; our brews reach high-krausen in 6 hours or less!