What's your favorite pilsner in bottles/cans?

Appelton at Milwaukee Burger Co on tap, Madison Trixie’s Liquor on E Washington and have Cans, Milwaukee Ray’s Liquor has cans and fill growlers. Thank you.

Thanks, I’ve been meaning to check out Trixies.

I disagree, what has brought the American brew industry back is its willingness to be bold. Our micro brewery’s have been willing to take chances push the envelope whether its maltier, choppier, or just different adjuncts the envelope should always be pushed.[/quote]

Nothing wrong with being bold but personally, when I open a bottle that says “pilsner” on the label, I want it to taste like a pilsner, not a barleywine or an IPA[/quote]

Prima Pils is 5.3% which is at the high end of the style, but not “way too big.” As far as the amount of hops, Germany’s industrial brewers, like the US’s, have reduced the bitterness of their beer over time. As I understand it, Prima Pils’s level of hopping is more in line with the way German Pilseners used to taste.

It is in the BJCP guidelines, which of course, is an American document, but still, I don’t see it as being way out of bounds or a poor representation of a “good pilsener”

Prima Pils isn’t in the drafted 2014 BJCP guidelines. Just sayin’.

http://www.bjcp.org/docs/2014%20BJCP%20Style%20Guidelines%20(DRAFT)%20(NOLOGO).pdf

[quote=“dmtaylo2”]Prima Pils isn’t in the drafted 2014 BJCP guidelines. Just sayin’.

http://www.bjcp.org/docs/2014%20BJCP%20Style%20Guidelines%20(DRAFT)%20(NOLOGO).pdf
[/quote]

personally I don’t care about guidelines, if it tastes good that’s all that matters to me.

I can respect that. Maybe “German Pils” is just the BJCP style that Prima Pils comes closest to. Countless beers defy categorization, and who cares. I yield.

Fresh Pilsener Urquel is the best. Locally, Han’s Pils from Real Ale Brewing is very good. Pearl Snap Pils from Austin Beer Works is also very good. Live Oak Pils from Austin used to be just about as good as Pilsener Urquel, but it has lost a lot of its character now that St. Pat’s is no longer importing Czech malt and hops. The German beers are good, but they don’t age well in our hot Texas warehouses. Victory Prima is a good national brand. I liked the Sam Adam’s Noble Pils, when it first came out, but the second batch I bought had a ton of diacetyl and was undrinkable.

Of course the best pils is usually the fresh one I have on tap in my garage.

[size=85]
I disagree, what has brought the American brew industry back is its willingness to be bold. Our micro brewery’s have been willing to take chances push the envelope whether its maltier, choppier, or just different adjuncts the envelope should always be pushed.[/size][/quote]

Oh, I don’t know…while Americans have proven nby and large that they can do almost anything, they also manage to overdo almost everything (often with an healthy dose of arrogance). Pushing the envelope on occasion is fine, but tradition is just as fine (and sometimes, preferable).

But…getting back on the topic of Pils…for me Urquell in cans or on draft (and probably their new brown bottles too, which I’ve yet to come across) is still my favorite, even with the changes made in recent years to the brewing process.

summit makes a damn fine pilsner

Definitely Urquell here. The 12 pack of bottles, that are completely enclosed in cardboard so that it doesn’t get skunked, is the way to go.

Urquell, Summit, Schells…all good.