"What's a blonde ale"

You can absolutely force carb a beer in 1 day. The question is, can you force carb it to a level that you’re happy with, and not over/under carbed? It ain’t easy. But, it can be done. It helps if your beer is already cold (notice Pietro is cold crashing before he kegs). Also it helps if you you’ve done it a few dozen times.

I brewed NBs Irish Blonde Ale a couple of years ago. It was very malty and balanced. Somewhat fruity with little hop presence. Very nice malty session beer.

[quote=“Brew Cat”]Interesting. You get full carbonation in 1 day?
I’m calling BS on that. Sorry Pietro that needs elaborating.[/quote]

No, I can get full carbonation in about 3 hours. Google ‘quick carbonation’.

To elaborate, ‘setting and forgetting’ carbonation allows the dissolved CO2 to hydrolyze. This is the difference of a carbonated soda in a bottle vs. a fountain soda, the latter of which are now carbonated immediately before serving. I can typically tell a difference, the quicker carbonated beverages have a rougher taste, which adds to the perception of dryness/carbonic acid. The dryness works with this beer’s flavor profile though.

The other benefit of slow-rolling it is you get the benefit of 2-3 weeks of cold-conditioning, which will drop out some polyphenols/tannins and give it a smoother mouthfeel.

So it depends on the beer. For something like a 80/-, Irish Red, or various types of stouts, this is probably not the way you want to go. But for a Fancy Lawnmower like this one, it works. Is it better after a few weeks? Yes, but marginally. And yes I do serve it to my friends after 10 days, and this is the single most popular beer I brew.

Sorry for doubting you P, I stand corrected. Is that your faux pils ?

no worries! “Trust but verify” are words to live by. Yes, this is the faux pils. We actually just brewed it this weekend using locally floor-malted 6-row as the base malt. I’m pretty psyched.

I haven’t experimented with 6 row yet but I do like Brooklyn lager. Don’t you need to use pilsner malt for a pilsner beer?

Yes. Yes you do. But its not a pilsner. Its a blonde ale. :mrgreen:

Brains on the floor from minds blown.

Actually, the classic american pils is traditionally made with 6-row barley and corn. Because, well, thats what we had here back in the day. Not to get into a whole discussion on malting, but I believe maltsters have made “pilsner malt” from both 2 and 6 row barley.