What you do with bad beer

I’ve been fortunate enough to not have a bad one yet in my short time brewing. I hear a good thing to do with the bad batches is to use them to boil brats and the like in.

“I have a case of chocolate milk stout i’ve been sitting on for a year, hoping it will get better. I guess it’s time to make it into something awesome. (chile, ice cream…) It’s just too cloying to drink.”

Did something go wrong with it or do you just not like it? I was actually intrigued by that one and planning on trying it out at some point.

Beer Schnapps… http://www.probrewer.com/resources/dist … hnapps.php

It depends on what’s wrong with it. Aging will help many cases. I’ve had some lacto infections that turned into awesome beers. One turned into a Oud Bruin that won many awards. I have only had to dump 5 gals that had a phenol/DMS problem. Blending will usually save most batches.

that’s why i like kegging. with 4 beers on tap, if one is tastes off then i can poor half glass of the bad and half of good and it turns out to be pretty good. i’ve actually come up with some decent recipes that way.

Use it for cooking or dump it. If other people like it just give it away

If you have the space and keg it, degass it and turn try turning it into a sour.

[quote=“dustinwwww”]“I have a case of chocolate milk stout i’ve been sitting on for a year, hoping it will get better. I guess it’s time to make it into something awesome. (chile, ice cream…) It’s just too cloying to drink.”

Did something go wrong with it or do you just not like it? I was actually intrigued by that one and planning on trying it out at some point.[/quote]

Well, I doubled the chocolate extract (when I did it they didn’t include cocoa nibs; they had a chocolate extract liquid). The beer started at about 1.056 and fermented down to 1.025. It was an extract batch. I used S-04 yeast. I think it’s the lactose that makes it so sweet. I was at NB one day when they were serving their own keg of that kit, and it tasted much the same. It’s viscous and sweet. It’s much different from Young’s or Boston Brewing Company Chocolate Bock.

Boiling brats in beer is cool, but adds no flavor to them. Have done it several times and nothing. I don’t think the casings let anything in. Still a good use for bad beer, better than dumping.

No flavor? beer does wonders to Brats IME

I’ve always used a fork to poke about a hundred holes in each brat before boiling.

I have a meat grinder (for the kitchenaid mixer) and make my own brats on occasion. I think I’ll put some in there.

I suppose I can always use some in my turkey brine next week.

you must be boiling your brats in budweiser…seriously though, I think I know what you’re saying. If you boil the brats in beer with onions, the onions really soak up the beer flavor. I definitely pick up the beer flavor moreso in the onions than in the actual brat itself.

you must be boiling your brats in budweiser…seriously though, I think I know what you’re saying. If you boil the brats in beer with onions, the onions really soak up the beer flavor. I definitely pick up the beer flavor moreso in the onions than in the actual brat itself.[/quote]

there is a few different ways with brats and beer to.
Boil in beer then throw on grill
Grill then throw in beer in onions and cook slow for a while
both ways work fine and add really nice flavor to brats

[quote=“grainbelt”]there is a few different ways with brats and beer to.
Boil in beer then throw on grill
Grill then throw in beer in onions and cook slow for a while
both ways work fine and add really nice flavor to brats[/quote]

+1 i usually simmer them in beer for a few hours if i have time with mustard seed, bay leaves, onion and pepper flakes. the key is to simmer not a hard boil. A hard boil will not increase flavor penatration instead it causes the sausage to tense up and over cook prematurely. then throw the sausage on the grill or hot skittle to bronwn and crisp the skin a little and give it that nice snap that a natural casing should give you.

i would not cook with beer that i wouldnt drink but occasionally i have a beer that isnt undrinkable it just happens to not be my favorite at the time it usually get used for braising liquid.
i have always wanted to try making some malt vinegar anybody doing that with success?