What’s Brewin’?

Tried it once on the first Pilsner I brewed. The hardest part was temperature control and volume because it was completely manual for me. Always was short on my temps. The beer came out fine but don’t really know if it made a taste difference or not.

1 Like

I’ve done a few decoction mashes. Not a huge fan. Lots of work and a long brew day. I did get a really good helles and a doppel bock from a hockhurz mash but not sure it was worth the extra effort to be honest.

1 Like

l

Back in the saddle boys. Revisiting my Bealtaine IPA even though it will be closer to Samhain before it’s ready to drink.

5 Likes

I’ve never brewed with smoked malt, I don’t think I could get through 5 or 10 gallons of a rauchbier or similar. Once in a while its good.

Never did a true decoction but tried the hochkurz also and had trouble with volume at the end. Hard for the brewing software to quantify the losses with all that heating and pausing, etc.

1 Like

Half asleep when I posted earlier. The Helles was a triple decoction and not a hockhurz. Only decoction I can remember doing. I did the hockhurz a couple of times.

Well then I’ll just stick to a simple step mash then… Maybe I don’t need to try the old styles of brewing…
Bock next week is going to happen… I’ll have to start building up dry yeast slurry…
Sneezles61

Never a stout but I’ve brewed smoked porter. I believe it was 10% smoked malt. I’m not a fan of peat smoked, cherry or apple is good. I’ve had good results smoking malt in my Treager.

Yesterday I brewed the English IPA recipe that was in this months BYO magazine

1 Like

Don’t let me talk you out of it. Give it a try and decide for yourself.

I’ve used smoked malts. But not for a while because of limited success. Peat smoked malt I want to try again

Well i thought about 10% of the grist would do it, so that’s probably where i’ll end up. Hoppfully it’ll be a nice brew to enjoy all those dark winter nights.

1 Like

Next two up for me are my annual pumpkin ale and a black IPA. Since @brew_cat mentioned his recipe from BYO, that reminded me I was pondering trying the Great Lakes Christmas Ale clone from there. If I can get that in by early November it should be ready for Christmas. I’ll have to dig back through my back issues to find it. :thinking:

:beers:
Rad

1 Like

What a great beer . What a great brewery.

1 Like

I have a lot of catching up to do so the plan is to brew every week this month. Got the IPA fermenting now. Brewing pilsner on Wednesday 7th, witbier Wednesday 14, and light American Lager Wednesday 21st. May do a dunkel or dark lager of some kind after that for late winter consumption but not sure. Still have a keg and half of schwarzbier that I’m not really into because it turned out too roasty. May have to give it away. haha

Need to spend a little time this week getting my ingredients in order. I know I’m out of 2 row but I should have everything I need for the lagers.

2 Likes

Mashed in the Muddy Road Brown about 1/2 hour ago. Going to do a single hop Crystal just for fun tomorrow for a local contest.

2 Likes

Holy crap this smells amazing!!!

3 Likes

Brew house is getting a bit more organized. Brewed a pale ale this afternoon. Calling it “Crystal Blue Persuasion” because it’s single hopped with Crystal from Blue Lake hops here in Michigan.

3 Likes

Yes, it looks like a brewery now! I’ll bet your as gitty as a kid with an ice cream cone!! What’s your next brew?
Sneezles61

1 Like

Me did yesterday. A stout. Today. Prep the vanilla ticture. In about ten days do add the vanilla tincture. An choc peanut. Powder.