What’s Brewin’?

Oh good idea a caclona beer

2 Likes

I am now getting back into brewing after a long absence. I searched this forum for some of the beers that were very popular when I was brewing regularly and noticed they are not mentioned or the post is very old. I am curious if these beers are no longer being brewed often, have been tweaked to improve them or if there are new beers that are now the classics. Does anyone regularly brew the following:

B52 Honey Wheat
Sister Star of the Sun IPA
St. Chuck’s Porter
Denny’s Cream Swill - Cream Ale
Denny’s Rye IPA
Your Father’s Mustache Classic American Pilsner

Welcome back @Bobcaat. I don’t see those recipes mentioned much around here. You can probably find more info On those at this site.
@denny pops in here at times so he’ll likely be able to help you on his recipes. And he’ll likely remember or have info on the other ones from the old boards.

I will say, to put a “name” on a specific brew doesn’t seem as important… There are variations to each one of these around here… Each Brewer has their tweak and likes to reveal in the grain bills…
I sure don’t post every brew I make… BUT, there are proceec’s I find that help, or a waste of time that I share… That’s alot of discussion in regards to brewing here…
Sneezles61

Thanks, I have the recipes. I am just curious as these were very popular at the time (the old standards) but seem to have fallen our of popularity. B52 and Sister Star of the Sun have two of my favorites.

Denny’s Rye IPA is still brewed a lot. A classic.

1 Like

I remember SSOTS…great recipe!

Brewed this up Tuesday. Gravity was about 10 points lower than it should’ve been. First time use with new 70qt mashtun.

Not Your Father’s Corona

Recipe specifics:

Style: American IPA
Batch size: 10.5 gal
Boil volume: 13.0 gal
OG: 1.066
FG: 1.017
Bitterness (IBU): 30.9
Color (SRM): 9.7
ABV: 6.5%

Grain/Sugars:

14.00 lb Maris Otter Malt, 47.5%
6.50 lb Flaked Oats, 22.0%
6.00 lb Two-row (US), 20.3%
2.00 lb White Wheat, 6.8%
1.00 lb Crystal 40L, 3.4%

Hops:

2.50 oz Citra (AA 12.8%, Pellet) 20 min, 30.9 IBU
4.00 oz Amarillo (AA 8.0%, Pellet) Whirlpool 0.0 IBU
3.00 oz Citra (AA 12.8%, Pellet) Whirlpool 0.0 IBU
5.10 oz Amarillo (AA 8.0%, Pellet) dry hop
4.00 oz Cashmere (AA 7.2%, Pellet) dry hop
3.40 oz Citra (AA 12.8%, Pellet) dry hop
2.00 oz Citra (AA 12.8%, Pellet) dry hop
2.00 oz Citra (AA 12.8%, Pellet) dry hop
4.25 oz Sabro (AA 14.5%, Pellet) dry hop

Batch Notes:

5.1oz Amarillo and 3.4oz Citra dry hopped in Unitank 48 hrs in to fermentation.

4.25oz Sabro and 2oz Citra dry hopped in keg 1.

4oz Cashmere and 2oz Citra dry hopped in keg 2

What was your OG then? 1.056?.. New mash tun… You’ll get your efficiency up… A few more brews through it, you’ll have it mastered…
Sneezles61

It was 1.066 (I adjusted app software to read what I got) but should’ve been 1.075 with that grain bill on old equipment. I noticed a lot of good sweet wort when I dumped the grains but it was too late at that point.

1 Like

Knocking out a kolsch, IIPA, and a nice lager with hallertau blanc, this weekend. I feel these are my 3 most solid recipes, and this is no time to experiment. My local Homebrew shop has converted into a drive-through for now and they are anticipating a full closure next week. Things in WA state are pretty crazy. Time to hunker down in the garage brew some beer and bang on my guitar.

Getting ready to kick off one of my go-to beers… De Belge Farmhouse IPA.

Had to make a lager due to the fact it was the only yeast in the house. Simple recipe with 3.5 kilos of pilsner and 1 kilo of munchner for 18 liters in the bucket. For hops i went with my homegrown Näs. A variety you could trace back to the 16hundreds.

2 Likes

Ok I’m gonna need a little more info about what’s going on in this picture…definitely intrigued. haha

1 Like

I would say it’s a blanket wrapped mash tun with a makeshift lid

1 Like

It’s a Brewferm boiler and it’s rubbish. Hence i try to keep the heat with a… I don’t know the word really. Could it be fireblanket? Well it keeps the pot boiling anyway👍🏻

3 Likes

You are correct dear sir.

Fire blanket firs the description fine! I like your creativeness…
Sneezles61

Well, when you got no good equipment. You got to do, what you got to do to make beer.

6 Likes

ahhh…ok…gotcha!