What’s Brewin’?

So my wife bought me the Brooklyn Brew shop one gallon Stillwater Gose kit for Xmas. Grains are milled but vac sealed so I’m going to give it a go on Sunday. I’ve not brewed a sour yet, and the recipe sounds involved but not too complex. Basically make wort, sour for four days at room temp, boil, ferment, bottle. Hoping for some answers to questions I have:

1. Is it a good idea to BIAB here with such a small volume?

2. I’ve read elsewhere to sour at 100F for four days or so. My attic is prob 90-95 so I thought that might be a good place?

3. Bought about a pound of local cherries and froze them, 1/2 sweet 1/2 sour. Two ideas:

first one: I was planning on thawing, pitting, pasteurizing, and racking finished wort onto them after primary fermentation complete.

Second one: adding 1/2 of them (pitted) to boil and the other 1/2 to a secondary ferm after pitting/pasteuring.

How long to leave in secondary?

Any thoughts/opinions appreciated! Thanks

Couple ideas:

1. since you’re boiling to kill off the lactobacillius, which I highly recommend to keep a ‘clean’ brewhouse, consider boiling 45 mins to drive off dms on wort production day. This way, you only have to boil the additional 15mins after souring. This also allows you to add any hops if wanted.
  2. try to keep as much O2 absorption out of the BK as you can. It can easily turn to butyric acid (vomit smell). If you can, lay a cover of CO2 and then shut the kettle. I will wrap my kettle and lid with plastic wrap
  3. if you have any lactic acid to adjust for pH consider adding some to lower the pH of the wort BEFORE souring. This will assist in preventing growth of unwanted organisms, including the butryic acid.

Thanks for the advice! Maybe a little more complicated than I bargained for lol. I will definitely do as much of this as I can. I certainly don’t want to infect my setup. Now brainstorming a way to lay down CO2. I have cartridges for my mini keg. And I like the idea of the lactic acid though i don’t have a ph monitor. This will also be my first outside boil. Don’t think my wife will appreciate a sour being boiled inside haha

sorry to say I’ve gotten behind on brewing. I’ve been building a post and beam barn on my property and have been busy with that. Waiting to pick up the metal for the roof so have a day. I was down to a half keg of cider so I did a fast turn around Saison which is getting low. My wife is in CO now so I’m doing a couple IPA one today one tomorrow. No clean up between.

Yeah been hit and miss for me on brewing as well with the kid, vacations, etc. Going to get my Oktoberfest brews going soon.

Ordered up ingredients for two batches of beer September 26 but got a message about a delay in shipping so I don’t have them yet to brew my pumpkin today as planned. However, my buddy just got a kegerator and was looking for a keg so he asked if I could double my black IPA ingredient order and he’d come down and we’d brew that. So I ran down to my local shop and picked up the ingredients for that to brew today. Guess pumpkin and my black IPA will have to wait a few weeks till I get back from my trade show in FL.

If he continues interest in kegs, it may finally give me the excuse I’ve been looking for to upgrade to a ten gal setup. :smiling_imp:

:beers:
Rad

1 Like

I did 10 gals in the same time I would do 5-ers…. And then knowing there is that much, great brew sooo handy….
Switch to electric?
Sneezles61

1 Like

Yeah as @sneezles61 said, not much more time involved to get an additional 5gals. With that said I do find myself with too much beer sometimes and not enough cold storage.