What’s Brewin’?

I just bottled AND kegged 6.5 gallons of a Scottish 60/- that I am very pleased with, English nuttiness and just a little hint of roasty.

Next up will be a rye stout that I’m entering into competitions as an oatmeal stout – shh, don’t tell anyone! :wink:

1 Like

Just got notification that my ingredients shipped from NB and will be delivered tomorrow so I’m gonna see if I can swing a brewday this weekend (maybe two if I can pull it off :smiling_imp:), first since surgery! I ordered ingredients for Nugget Nectar Clone and Black IPA. I’m psyched!

:beers:
Rad

2 Likes

Nugget Nectar is pretty solid yet again this year. I assume you’ve had the commercial version before…

How’s it coming? :slight_smile:

Oh yeah, it’s a yearly favorite. This will be my fourth year doing the clone. I’m just a bit late, normally I’d brew this late December to have it ready for a side by side when NN releases. I’ve stashed a 6 pk of cans to keep for comparison purposes. :innocent:

:beers:
Rad

Done! Delicious! Denny's BVIP Today - #21 by WMNoob

(We’ll see if I did that right.)

1 Like

No doubt, wasn’t sure of your location and availability. I’m about 45 mins from Troegs

To stay on topic though, I’m doing yet another NEIPA tomorrow morning. I used 3rd gen WLP 095 in my batch last week and had strong rotten egg aroma coming from fermenter. I’m thinking infection but will wait it out as the smell has since dissipated. My wife always suggests buying new yeast for every batch but I love to cut corners and save money.

1 Like

That rotten egg, sulfury smell is not uncommon, especially with ale yeasts(such as hefe yeasts), and with overpitches, and at least in my experience has not been associated with infection. You should be fine :relaxed:

That’s good to hear then. I wanted a quick turn and have it kegged for Superbowl but I think I’ll let it sit an extra week now. I haven’t studied much on pitch rates but I’ve never had a problem either. I pitched a quart starter in a 5 gallon batch. OG was 1.075

Bottled up the ends of a couple kegs I had offline. Got about 20 beers from them. Yesterday brewed a small patsbier to build up my smack pack of Ardennes yeast that will be going into Belgian trip that is kinda based on Alagash Cruieux. Going to do a Mexican Lager Sunday

Have the Dead Ringer and Chinook IPA in the fermentors.

Infection problem may have been the bag I use to remove hop debris during the pour into the fermentor. Would account for a couple brews in between not showing an infection. Used a new bag for the Chinook. Boiled and sanitized before using with the DR.

I started using a stainless steel strainer and run it through the dishwasher

Busy weekend…

• Kama Citra is going in the keg
  • Grapefruit pulpin is getting dry hopped and dry grapefruited. (Is that even a word?)
  • Dead Ringer is getting brewed

And I’m really only brewing the Dead Ringer to build a yeast cake for Hops Lamb

Looking forward to a hoppy Spring in my house.

2 Likes

Just finished another NEIPA and it smells terrific.
9# MO
6# 2row
3# Flaked Oats
3ml hopshot @60
1.5oz each of Simcoe Amarillo @1
1oz each Simcoe Amarillo Azacca Whirlpool
1.5oz each Simcoe Amarillo Azacca DH in keg
FRESH pack of WLP095 with a starter

A bitter tomorrow.
5.25gal batch
5 1/2 lbs MO
1 lb Wheat
4 oz Extra Dark Malt
4 oz Carawheat

.60oz aurora hops @ 60
1oz sonnet goldings @ 45
1oz EKG @ 5
1oz EKG @1
1/2 EKG dry hop (want a little aroma from DH)

Got some others coming in the pipeline but I’m keepin’ it a secret. :shushing_face::zipper_mouth_face:

5 pounds of invert sugar. Really not brewing, but good prep work for some British beers coming down the pipeline.

Huh? 5 lbs invert sugar?

Sorry, did I reply to you? Meant to just respond to the thread. I made 5 pounds of invert sugar tonight in preparation for a couple beers I have planned.

Lol. I thought you misread my recipe. Lol. I got you now though and understand. But none of my up coming beers are going to be “English” beers. But I’m tight lipped right now. :no_mouth:

1 Like