What’s Brewin’?

Hops?

Don’t go there Unc… :confounded: Sneezles61

I have a Vienna lager and a big ass porter…and a load of galaxy and Nelson sauvin hops to make an ipa…just waiting for time…hopefully Sunday I can knock out the Vienna…

ESB, got some carastan malt to try… going to keep the ABV down , I hope.
10 gallons to the fermenter;
pH adjustment, 5.9, pre strike water
16 pounds pale malt
3 pounds carastan
3 oz chocolate wheat
1.5 oz German Hercules …(?) 18% to the boil
1 tbs calcium chloride
After primary fermentation done, 3 oz cascade 6.8%
Target SG of 1.053, at 80% efficiency.
009 yeast.
mmmmmmmm beer… Sneezles61
OK pre-boil at 1.048… I also had UK progress for bittering…

What hop combo in the NEIPA?

Sorry, sleeping at the switch. We used an oz. of Summit as FWH this time, I’ll report back on how that worked out compared to the Magnum we usually use. For the rest of it, we use an ounce of Amarillo, Simcoe, and Mosaic at 1 minute, whirlpool, and 7 day DH. Here’s the whole discussion on the recipe where I got some great advice: Neipa?

For my personal taste the FWH of an oz. of Magnum works although it may not be to your liking. On a side note, you’ve already probably read that the word on the street is NEIPAs are highly susceptible to oxidation and I think I can confirm this. We lost about 3/4 of a keg to oxidation (beer turned purple) because I think I didn’t purge my keg well enough with CO2 on the fill. This batch will have a well purged keg and be transferred under CO2 presssure to avoid that.

I may have said this before so sorry if repeating,
Columbus works well for bittering and goes really well with Simcoe, Amarillo, Centennial and Cascade for American IPAs.
And, it is very inexpensive. It is my goto bittering hop and I grow it now in my back yard (along with Chinook, Cascade and Centennial).

If you use it for Flavoring and Aroma, you end up with Dank (which some people like).

&:wink:

2 Likes

Going to brew my version of alagash cruieux tomorrow with some harvested Ardennes yeast

So doing the Vienna lager tomorrow.

Bought a bunch of Vienna malt for this but need to buy some time.

Did the DIPA today. Used Columbus, Amarillo, Centennial, and Simcoe hops.

Also working on several other recipes. Not enough time really!

1 Like

Just brewed Tmavé Pivo Czech dark lager with Kazbek hops

NEIPA this morning with my son. It’s a recipe he found so it should be interesting. I have never added hops during fermentation before.

1 Like

Will be brewing NB’s Bavarian Hefeweizen today. This will make a little more room for more of the Chinook and Dead Ringer. Getting the big fermentor out for this one.

May put other LME under the snow to clear a full shelf.

Me a double ipa yesterday. But color kind of not right. Bit to dark. But hey as long it comes out tastefully. Lesson learned do not trust brewing software. Complete

Vienna is in the fridge at 51 degrees waiting for the wy2206 to kick in…nice 4 hr brew day even with the extra mash time.

Under pitched my Ardennes yeast by 25% hopefully I’ll get a good Belgian flavor in my Back Page Tripple

What did you do different for your mash? Sneezles61

45 minutes at 145 and 158.

2 Likes

I think you’ll have great results with that mash. 146° and 156° is my go to for lagers.

1 Like

I Vorlauf (rinse) 3 times once I have the basket out of the wort… I’ll stir it up then Vorlauf for about 5 minutes, let it drip and repeat… All the while I’m turning up the heat… Sneezles61